PS3 Slim

dagnammit 00:31 11 Sep 2009

Really impressed with it. Can't believe they got it so small and much quieter than the fat version and the load times have improved, IMO.

One gripe is that it froze after installing FW3.0 and the PSN is slow... guess that's due to the amount of sales recently.

Anyone else got one? What's your opinion?

Managing ed 10:15 11 Sep 2009
  crosstrainer 14:37 11 Sep 2009

Hang on, I've only just got my 360 :))

dagnammit 20:21 11 Sep 2009

Interesting remarks about fans and stuff. Though the constant comparisons to the "original" are a little confusing. To clarify it.... UK models are...

60GB has PS2 & PS1 BC, built in card readers, 4 USBs & a Six Axis. Can run Linux. Ran on 90nm chips.

40GB has PS1 BC, 2 USBs & a Six Axis. Can run Linux. Ran on 90nm chips then apparently moved to 65nm.

80GB replaced the 40GB and switched the Six Axis to a Dual Shock 3. Can run Linux. Has 65nm chips.

160GB ltd edition. Same feature set as 80GB.

120GB which is the Slim. 45nm chips... whole redesign. PS1 BC remains but the option to install Linux has been removed. Box contents the same as the 80GB and 160GB.

roddypoddy 12:15 12 Sep 2009

I got a "slim" last Tuesday,and my 60 gig has been passed on to my youngest daughter(for a reasonable fee of course),i,m impressed,all that they say about it appears to be true,the only problem i have is gaming,ps3 or pc?,though the console only exlusives (Gran Turismo)will make the choices a tad easier.
I have just ordered Need For Speed Shift,pc version,and there are a number of games due that will have me weighing the pro,s and con,s of each platform.

crosstrainer 08:04 13 Sep 2009

PC every time...I only got the 360 due to a doctors lecture about not sitting at a PC for hours on end!

Having said that. it's fun and I can recline on the settee..Nope, it's not a patch on my high spec. Gaming PCs, but works well.....

monkeyboy21 23:38 17 Sep 2009

negative points - explaining to your partner why you must go out and purchase one and the reason for doing so.....

dagnammit 01:21 19 Sep 2009

Will tick as resolved as the PSN seems to have resolved itself. Don't if it was us tweaking the router or Sony, or even both...

PS3 Slim is awesome. Gonna get the kids one for Christmas as there's some good bundles in the pipeline and they can access the games I've bought off the Playstation store.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone