Problem Installing Flight Simulator 2004

Border View 16:50 05 Jan 2010

I have just bought a brand new copy of Flight Simulator 2004 V9,1. I run with XP Home SP3

Discs 1- 3 installed no problem, but after I had inserted disc 4 and got as far as 79% it hung there at Chicago.cab.

Then got a notice "Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 encountered a disc error while writing to file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\Cities\Chicago.cab. Make sure your hard disc is not full, and that the file is not in use.

I ignored and continued, same message with Heathrow and countless others. Now when I start the game I get a message

"SCENERY.CFG file error. Local scenery directory (Scenery\Cities\Hongkong\SCENERY) in scenery area .020 not found Click ok to continues similar message for about ten other cities.

Support no longer available (as of a year ago) from Microsoft.

Other than sending this second copy/piece of this software back to Amazon, can anyone suggest a remedy please.

mrwoowoo 00:01 06 Jan 2010

Things to try.
Try installing in safe mode.
If that doesn't work, when installing choose custom and then minimum install.
Or. 1. Create a folder on your desktop called FS9.
2. Insert Disc 1 into the drive.
3. Go to My Computer and right-click on the disc, click Explore.
4. Highlight all of the files on Disc 1, then right click Edit > Copy.
5. Open the folder you made on the desktop,right click Edit > Paste.
6. Repeat these steps with all 4 discs.
7. Open the folder on your desktop again and double-click Setup.exe to run the installer.
8. Follow through the installation as normal.

Border View 10:44 06 Jan 2010

Thank you Mr. Woowoo, will give these a go. Thanks for responding.

Border View 12:13 06 Jan 2010

Well I have tried all three methods without success. I believe that the Scenery\Cities files on this disc must be corrupt.

I have decided to try just once more for a replacement from Amazon. If that is not successful I shall request a refund and give up.

Thank you for your interest Mrwoowoo

Border View 22:57 06 Jan 2010

Message from Amazon. Regrettably they are aunable to supply a further replacement so will be refunding my purchase monies.

I do have FS2002 so am thinking of staying with that.

Problem - other FS 2004 are available on the net or will I simply encounter similar problems.

As mentioned I run with XP Home SP3. Acer Aspire Laptop 1642ZWLMi. Should I stick with with what I have?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?