New build gaming pc components?

Joe787 12:27 23 Apr 2017

Hi all, I'm no expert but wanted to try out building my own gaming PC on a budget off around £1000-£1500.

Here is what i have and was just wondering if anyone could give me any heads up on anything that wont be compatible or if you guys have any suggestions!?

ASUS LGA 1151 STRIX Z270E GAMING Intel Z270 ATX Motherboard

Intel 7th Gen Quad Core I5 7600K 3.8GHz

Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler

Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-21300 2666MHz Dual Channel Kit

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING Z 8GB GDDR5X Graphics Card

Samsung 850 Evo Basic 250GB Solid State Hard Drive 2.5" Or Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 250GB Type 2280 Internal SSD?

Tagan 2 Force II Series 1300W Model TG1300 U33 PSU - I already Own

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 450Mbps Dual Band Wireless-N PCIe Adapter

Onboard audio?

I already have the PSU from an older computer but from what i have seen it should be able to connect with all the newer hardware, Have the connections changed a great deal in the last 5 years or so? It has Sata connections etc. Also i don't really go nuts with sound quality but will the on board audio be ok or should i go for a sound card even if it is lower cost?

Hope someone can help me out and steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!!

Archonar 16:15 25 Apr 2017

An i7 is overkill for almost every game, you're better off buying an i5 and using the extra money to upgrade elsewhere (maybe up to a 1080?) or even just saving the money. i7's are really only needed for video editing and processors that almost solely demand cpu power. If you look at pcpartpicker, where people post their gaming builds, you will see that even for high end rigs they are using i5's: click here (you can also use it to check compatibility, just click start a new build and enter all of your parts and it will flag any issues).

As for the PSU, I can't see it not working, but if it doesn't then you can always buy a new one, no point in buying one now only to discover that it would have worked with the old one.

I would also go for 16gb of ram, 8gb is fine but 16 is becoming standard for gaming pc's.

You will probably also want a large HDD to use to store your games, 1TB should be enough. As for sound card unless you are an audio freak you don't need one, and as with the PSU you can always buy one down the line if you want a sound upgrade.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?