Microsoft FSX

Flak999 17:54 08 Aug 2010

I am thinking of buying FSX and on reading several forums including Microsofts own there seems to be some debate about what the system requirements are for running this sim.

My machine is about five years old and this is its spec:

Processor: Amd Athlon 64 FX-55 clocked at 2.61 Ghz
2 Gb of DDR Ram
300Gb Sata hard drive
Asus A8n-Sli Deluxe Mobo
2 Nvidia 6800GT Graphic cards in Sli mode
OS is Win XP pro SP3 32bit

According to the Microsoft info my system is well within the requirements to run it, but in other forums many people disagree and say it wont run at anything like a playable standard!

Can anybody here shed any light on this issue please?

martytoon 10:22 11 Aug 2010

These questions are always difficult to answer as different people want different things from flight sims. The short answer is that your system specs would run FSX but you would need to run FSX at low settings to get playable frame rates. This means turning down graphic settings and reducing amount of AI traffic. For some people this is not acceptable and I can see why as you start to miss out on many of the features FSX introduced over FS2004. It's also worth bearing in mind that many of the available aircraft add-ons are hugely complex, replicating entire aircraft systems and would bring your system to its knees. The same goes for scenery add-ons. Can I suggest a couple of things?

1. There is a FSX demo available on the Microsoft website. Install this and see how your system copes. Bear in mind though that the demo has less complex aircraft and scenery is quite sparse.
2. There's an active forum at flightsim.com. If you post their someone may have the same specs and be able to give further insight.
3. You could try FS2004 which requires less processing power and will run quite nicely on your system. You can pick it up quite cheaply now. If you get "bitten by the fs bug" you can perhaps look to upgrade to a newer pc capable of running FSX in all it's glory.

Hope this helps?

Flak999 22:02 11 Aug 2010

Thanks for your reply, I had a feeling that my system would struggle and so it has proved. I tried the demo and it is virtually unplayable at any sort of advanced graphic level.

Seeing as how FSX is a few years old now and my system was cutting edge at the time it was released, alot of people must have been rather disappointed at the time I would have thought.

I needed an excuse to buy a new system looks like this is it!

Thanks again for your help.

tigertop2 09:34 17 Aug 2010

If you are interested in MS Flight Sim you might like to know that a new Flight Sim product has been released. It is called 'Wings of Prey'. It has been favourably reviewed so far. I got my copy from a Dutch retailer and don't know if it is out in the UK yet. It is very good. But your present set up is unlikely to cope with it

ArrGee 20:55 17 Aug 2010

FSX is a pain in the back-side to configure on a generic basis. I use Game Booster from click here with zero net connection for my flights.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone