Microsoft disconnects Xbox gamers

numpty_uk 14:06 11 Nov 2009
  Awshum 16:28 11 Nov 2009

deserved it too.

peter99co 16:30 11 Nov 2009

click here

I've probably saved about £600 and I've copied roughly 30 or 40 games. A lot of them I've downloaded or I've taken off friends that have downloaded themselves.

And who pays for game development if people cheat like this? Serves him right!

mr simon 10:56 12 Nov 2009

"It's like telling someone their dog's just died. It was pretty much like that for me. I love it, I love playing Xbox live. I play with my mates all the time."

Banning him was probably the kindest thing Microsoft could have done for him.

Forum Editor 17:45 12 Nov 2009

The Games industry has had enough. Like most industries it has been affected by the economic recession, and times are hard. Games cost a small fortune to develop, and I'm not surprised that software companies get very angry when people calmly steal their copyright.

Copyright theft is a major problem, and we can expect the industry to bite back with a vengeance from now on.

Awshum 19:00 12 Nov 2009

I was under the impression that gaming was growing as more looked for stay at home entertainment. Anyway that's not detracting from the rest of your statement. Here's some figures:

Gran Turismo 5 has been in development for 5 years and has costed around $60,000,000 so far.

Grand Theft Auto IV's development cost $100,000,000.

The latest PS3 exclusive Uncharted 2 game was costed at around £20,000,000.

Hardware development is even more astronomical and runs into Billions.

These people deserve heavy fines and criminal records.

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:40 13 Nov 2009

but I'll wager there are innocents caught up in this as well, I understand people who have upgraded hard drives and dvd drives have also been caught up in this. As normal, things are not as clear cut as some would like to portray.

Awshum 10:29 15 Nov 2009

It is still against Microsoft's T&Cs to connect a modded console to xbox live. And it's a predictable defense:

"I don't have pirated games I just modded my console to fit a harddrive that's 500GB".

"I swapped the DVD drive for efficiency, it's nothing to do with bypassing DRM".

Arthur Scrimshaw 10:34 15 Nov 2009

MS consider adding a bigger hard drive as unacceptable yet you can do the same thing to a PS3 without any problems from Sony. I don't understand why fitting a bigger hard drive would enable you to play pirated games?

Awshum 18:43 15 Nov 2009

MS's hardrives are proprietary. You can buy bigger ones from Microsoft. If you mod the console then MS doesn't make any money and you can possibly run pirated software/movies from it.

The PS3 has been designed to use 2.5inch SATAs. Sony have a better machine, and fairer terms, by far. But each company makes it clear what you can and can't do if you still want to continue using their services.

I just bought a Wii and when I attempted to go online it warned me that any modded hardware or software would be disabled if I proceeded.

You cannot blame the companies. They put the T&Cs out there.

gengiscant 10:05 16 Nov 2009

Here we go again,pirates are destroying the film/game/music industries.
Illegal downloads will bring ruination to all,borrowing and copying a mates music makes you a bad person.I think I have heard it all before.

Those of us who are old enough will remember cassette recorders and how they were going to wreak havoc on the music industry, of course it did.

Yes it might be easier and more folk might do it but some of these industries,the music industry in particular, were slow to embrace the digital age and then in an effort to play catchup brought in ridiculous DRM.The games industry wasn't much better, their so called anti piracy software did not stop pirate, but made installing and playing the game for the majority of honest gamers a nightmare.

Even though I spend far to much money on games, DVDs and music Cd's, I for one shall not be removing my torrent software any time soon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires