Laptop Heating/Gaming

ghostwhistler 08:53 28 Apr 2015

Hello, I recently brought a refurbished Sony Vaio laptop. I wasn't expecting it to be able to do much gaming and that's not really why i brought it, but I do enjoy the odd game, however it gets hot while doing so - naturally.

Now I'm not an expert on operating temperatures or laptop hardware. I brought a Belkin cooling pad (it was reasonably cheap) but I don't think it does much beside elevate it off the desktop. I'm getting temperatures, according to HWMonitor averaging in the mid 50's (degrees C) for normal use (browsing, music, video etc), which can increase as high as 71-72 depending on the game (Shogun 2 TW pushes it the most so far and is probably as advanced a game as i can reasonably run).

Is this safe? According to the info i've found on the SOny product forums the max operating temp is 105 degrees C, but I can't imagine running it at that speed regularly or for any length of time is healthy.

If those temperatures are not healthy then are there any reasonable solutions I can try. I'm not a tech wiz and I've no interest in tinkering with the insides (and voiding the warranty I have). It seems to me laptop cooling pads are more of a placebo than anything else as I've not come across anything with a rock solid reputation.

Thanks for reading. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?