how to choose video card for upgrade?

John Ross 17:06 10 Oct 2009

I am looking to upgrade my daughter's Pc to allow her to play games that are not the latest or most demanding.
She has a secondhand Dell Optiplex GX280 minitower with 3.0GHz celeron CPU. It uses onboard graphics, described as Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express chipset family display adapter X2. I think the free video slot is PCI express.
She has a 17.2 inch Viewsonic TFT monitor 1440 X 900, with only analogue VGA input.
Therefore I am looking for a v cheap likely 2ndhand video card to allow her to run movies and play multiplayer games (currently she is playing Trackmania and Halo Combat Evolved).
I am struggling to judge what the spec of the onboard graphics is compared to a separate video card.
Could you let us know what specs to look for and sugggested cards?
Thanks!

GaT7 17:54 10 Oct 2009

You're right, from the specs click here. it does have a PCI-E slot.

There are 3 models in the GX280 range click here. Which one do you have exactly ? You mention 'minitower', but is it the same as the one they also refer to as 'Small Mini-Tower' in the above link?

If it is indeed the 'Small Mini-Tower', then the best card you could install is a ATI HD4670, e.g. click here. Open the case & have a look at the PSU rating (in watts) & also the physical space available next to the 16x PCI-E slot. These graphics cards can be quite broad due to the large cooler & occupy 1-2 adjacent slots. G

John Ross 20:09 10 Oct 2009

Yes, thank you, you are right it is the small mini tower (I did not realise there was a full size GX280 until I saw your link.
I will look for the card you suggest: it sounds like a very sensible choice.
Are you suggesting it because other cards will need a more poserful PSU and/or more space?
Any other suggestions gratefully received : either current or older cards, specific suggestions or general specs.

GaT7 21:16 10 Oct 2009

Yes, it's arguably the best 3D card you can install without having to upgrade the PSU as well. Space-wise it should be OK as well.

It doesn't even require a dedicated power connection from the PSU, but your Dell PSU will need to be at least 250W or more I think.

"I did not realise there was a full size GX280 until I saw your link." - it's the one you have isn't it? Also pictured here click here.

Installing a PCI Express Card click here (if required). G

John Ross 20:40 18 Oct 2009

I searched for a cheap card with HD 4670 chip, but all seemed to be about 50% or more of the cost of the old PC.
Also, I checked the PSU, which is actually rated only as 250W according to the label, and I ahve already added extra USB slots, a 2nd DVD drive and wireless card!
I found a 2nd hand 8600GT card for £15 (presumably because it has had bad write-ups), which seems to be doing fine for the games I mentioned.
No instability or smell of burning coming from the PC yet!
Thanks for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache