HD 7970 getting low fps in games

CraZy_ 11:07 19 Jun 2017

My Gigabyte OC Windforce AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB version is getting low fps in games. In GTA I know it has to run over 120 fps but mine doesnt usually go even over 50 fps. My specs: AMD FX-8320 8GB RAM 550w psu All the temps and CPU usage is fine. Hopefully someone can help me.

CraZy_ 11:12 19 Jun 2017

The problems insist in all games not only in GTA V

Old Deuteronomy 11:35 19 Jun 2017

Your HD 7970 is elderly and underpowered for recent/new games, you could do with a new graphics card. Further to that, why do you think GTA V needs to run at more than 120fps?

CraZy_ 12:07 19 Jun 2017

Well might not be 120 fps but +80 fps for sure. Plenty of benchmark videos on the internet. Besides how can i be sure that its a GPU issue? Only way is to try another GPU ?

MLA2000 13:15 19 Jun 2017

Check your drivers, my Radeon HD 5670 (ASUS 1gb model) is still performing fairly well today considering its age, sold for about £10 on ebay. AMD are generally good at supporting older hardware and achieving the maximum performance it has to offer.

You might need to use a small overclock, I've used ASUS GPUTweak but MSI Afterburner will also work. After doing this, you should also defragment your steam directory, as the issue may be due to games not being able to read data fast enough.

Then check device manager to make sure you aren't using motherboard integrated graphics, go to device manager -> monitors, right click your display and press properties. If 'location' shows anything other than "On AMD Radeon HD 7970", you most likely have a persisting driver issue (I find this more common with old cards under Windows 10). Uninstall all AMD drivers and then install only the latest from amd.com

If you're still not having much luck, you might need to bump down the resolutions, your card should be able to handle 1080p, but on some new titles you might need to move down to 720p to lighten the workload.

CraZy_ 15:26 19 Jun 2017

All drivers are up to date and my motherboard doesnt have integrated graphics. Ive also tried OC mode in ASUS GPUTweak, nothing changes. And the issue is with all games (cracked, steam, origin etc.). So Im not sure about defragment.

Old Deuteronomy 15:57 19 Jun 2017

Then check device manager to make sure you aren't using motherboard integrated graphics, go to device manager -> monitors, right click your display and press properties. If 'location' shows anything other than "On AMD Radeon HD 7970"

That can happen on a laptop with integrated and discrete graphics, on a desktop PC, with the monitor cable plugged into the graphics card, it cannot happen. Integrated graphics processors cannot deliver their output via the graphics card.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?