Games reduce themselves to 30 FPS

A Garden Snake 18:15 17 Sep 2017

Hey folks!

I had a quick question, the rig I currently run on has a GTX 970, an I7 5820K processor, 16 GB of DDR 4 RAM, and Win 10. I'll be playing some game (Terraria, League of Legends namely) and if there is anything going on in the background they will occasionally drop to 30 FPS as though they're trying to protect themselves from overloading the other programs when in all reality, 50% or less of any one system resource is being taxed at the time.

Terraria is modded so it takes up a lot more then vanilla which is probably part of the reason, but league norally isn't too bad.

I find Google Chrome to be a common offender as it eats my system resources like no other, but not so much it should make my other games drop.

I've had to close most other programs that run in the background sometimes too, to the point where virtually just the game is running and barely using any resources.

I don't know if there is a Nvidi setting I fudged back a while back or whats going on to make them drop, but there is plenty of resources available to keep everything at 60 FPS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Menzie 02:03 18 Sep 2017

Is this something that has happened recently? If so then possibly I would say the current drivers for your GPU might not be playing nicely.

If a newer version is available then update to that and see if it fixes the issue.

Devil Fish 20:44 21 Sep 2017

from what i have been reading the game has an fps cap of 60fps a drop to 30 in more populated (graphically intense) areas not beyond the realms of possibility. devs do this to ensure the stability of the game

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?