Flight Simulator

Pine Man 19:17 16 Oct 2008

I am new to gaming and I am getting to grips with Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

I read somewhere about getting the accelerator pack, which seemed like a good idea, so to find out where to get it I 'googled it and came up with a free download site but can't understand it!

Is this a genuine site or should I be able to get it free or be buying it somewhere else?

click here

pchelper001 19:44 16 Oct 2008

As far as i can tell, that site is not genuine! It seems to have the expansion pack split into files, which is illegal, as i think they probably just copied a cd to create it.

Phil-UK 01:11 17 Oct 2008

you should be buying it, its around 18-20 pound if you check places like play.com or ebay.

any place that offers it free are either a scam,virus,illegal or all 3 :)

crosstrainer 05:38 17 Oct 2008

As stated, the pack is extra, but you do need the 2 service pack updates (install them in order)

click here

Pack 1

click here

Pack 2

It's not a game by the way, it's far more serious than that :))

Pine Man 08:39 17 Oct 2008

I suppose I should have realised it was dodgy!

Crosstrainer:
Thanks for the advice about the service packs, I'll download those then BUY an accelerator pack. I agree that it's not a game - apparently it is used as an aid to learning to fly real planes.

crosstrainer 10:02 17 Oct 2008

It is very realistic, but you can turn it down to "game" levels if you want to... (I didn't want to do this, so started with Flight SIm 98 and full realism)

Have now become pretty good, and would feel confident flying most single and small twin engined aircraft in an emergency if I had to :)) I have no problem with the heavies, and fly them regularly on-line, but have doubt's about my ability to land one alone ( fortunately It won't ever be "me" due to DVT! )

When you feel like a training session, contact me via the yellow envelope, and we can fly any scenario you like online....Tried this idea a while back but got no takers.... Start with simple takeoff and landings and go from there!

Pine Man 11:09 17 Oct 2008

So far I have managed to get a 737 onto the ground once BUT I wouldn't have wanted to be a passenger on it!!

Thanks for the advice and offer I'll bear them in mind when I am a bit more proficient.

irishrapter 17:01 19 Oct 2008

Yeah I love Microsoft Flight Sim, played them for years!

Earlier this year I decided to try the real thing and went up in a little Piper PA28-181 Archer at Aldergrove airport in Belfast.
I have some videos up on You Tube click here

I must say that the experience is very different from flying in a simulator but the cockpit and a lot of the controls are identical.
The simulator flying really helped, but the instructor was more useful!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?