Copying a profile to a default account in XP Pro

BillySilly 23:03 10 Nov 2008

Hi
I have installed XP Pro with a single user. I have installed all my software, utilities and peripherals and have configured all of them and Windows.
Only then did I read that for protection when on the web you shouldn't log on as a user with Administrator priveleges. I also read that logging on as an Administrator I could copy a profile to the default user folder.
I then found I am not allowed to log on through my configured main account and copy it to the default user folder.
So I created another account with Administrator priveleges and thought I could log on through that and copy my configured profile to the default user folder. But I found that the default user is no longer listed in c:\Documents and Settings!

What I want to do is
Make my default user profile a copy of my configured account
Create an identical but Limited user profile for myself from the default account, which I could use to log on
Create 4 more limited accounts for other users.

I assume the original account will be still listed at the welcome screen as I cannot remove the last Administator user from this even though the password protected Administrator account still exists!

There really seems to be too many Catch 22s to this and I really don't want to start again by configuring the default user profile.

Could someone who has been there and done that help me out - please!

BillySilly 12:03 11 Nov 2008

Ah!
I have just noticed that the second Administrator I created doesn't isn't set to show system files, because I haven't yet changed the default user profile.
I have set it and I can see the default user profile - progress!
Found this useful post. If anyone has a better way for XP Pro let me know!
click here

Forum Editor 18:33 11 Nov 2008

and I'm moving it to the Helproom.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie