Is this computer a bargain, or a risk?

Douglas77 22:02 23 Jun 2016

I've been looking to buy a new gaming PC and this looks to be a huge bargain, compared to similarly priced offerings elsewhere. The warranty is minimal, to say the least but I'm more concerned about their reputation. Does anyone know anything about AWD-IT, or had dealings with them? Beyond that, what are your thoughts on the PC in question?

• Case: InWin 805 Aluminium Case
  • Power Supply: Corsair 650W PSU
  • CPU: Intel Core I5-6600K Overclocked to 4.6Ghz
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3 Motherboard
  • Cooler: Antec H1200 Liquid Cooler
  • RAM: 16Gb (2x8GB) Corsair Veangeance LPX 3000Mhz DDR4 Dual Channel Kit
  • SSD: Samsung 950 PRO 256Gb M.2 NVMe PCIe
  • HDD: Seagate 2Tb 7200rpm drive
  • Sound: Realtek ALC1150 115dB SNR HD Audio
  • Windows 10 Home 64 bit
  • Network: Killer™ E2200 Gaming Network

Total price: £1,341.79 (inc VAT)

Thank you, in advance, for any advice given. :)

Douglas77 22:05 23 Jun 2016

I forgot to include the GPU, for some reason: - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB 4K VR Ready Graphics

The price is the same as above.

IQ17 04:09 24 Jun 2016

I'm always leary of those. Also i don't think id ever buy a a pc that has the cpu overclocked through someone else. That's kinda shady to me I've never heard of any company doing that.the parts in it are pretty good and the case matters to cause you care about the airflow. Overall from what i know, they are both. The are a risk as well as a bargain. The specs seem pretty good to me but actually.what i would first is build the exact some pc on newegg. If you can't find something on newegg that's in that pc take note but i doubt it. Also compare price. If the psu is gold or platinum grade its definitely worth looking into. Hope i helped a little.

Old Deuteronomy 10:42 24 Jun 2016

Also i don't think id ever buy a a pc that has the cpu overclocked through someone else. That's kinda shady to me I've never heard of any company doing that.

A lot of perfectly respectable computer sellers offer overclocked systems.

Going to Newegg would not be a good idea as they ship from the US which means you do not have UK buyer protections, shipping will be very expensive and returns or repairs will be difficult.

Old Deuteronomy 10:44 24 Jun 2016

Further to the above, reviews of AWD-IT are very mixed, many good reviews but, also many complaints of very poor customer service if something is not right.

IQ17 15:50 24 Jun 2016

BlockquoteGoing to Newegg would not be a good idea as they ship from the US which means you do not have UK buyer protections, shipping will be very expensive and returns or repairs will be difficult. Blockquote

I meant just got pricing comparison. Not to buy it from there. Sorry for the confusion. But i had no idea there are respectable places that pre oc for you. Thanks for that.

Douglas77 12:57 27 Jun 2016

Yep, I think most PC companies provide OC services.

Re' building. I like the idea, re' cost but have no confidence or experience in doing so. Wouldn't want to take the risk.

Will probably head back to Scan, unless anyone has alternative options? It will cost roughly £300 more with Scan but their reputation re' build quality and customer service is excellent. They also offer a 3 year parts and labour warranty, with 1st year on-site, 2nd/3rd return to base. The only other company I've see with as good a warranty is CCL but they offer much more limited choices. Most other builders offer prices around the same as Scan, or more expensive... and with fewer options and poorer, or non-existent, warranties.

Any other suggestions gratefully received and thank you for the advice already given. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?