AVG 8 free problem and Steam account access

TopCat® 17:47 21 Nov 2009

To access my CoD MW2 at Steam I'm finding I have to shut down my AVG free firewall. Leaving it active, which is what I want, causes the game to freeze up and disappear off screen after the first loading screen ends. Windows Task Manager cannot be accessed either and I have to power down/up to reboot the computer. Has anyone else had problems like this?

As I only play single player I'm not terribly happy with this Steam business but we have to have this blasted Steam account to play the game. TC.

TopCat® 17:58 21 Nov 2009

That should of course be my ZoneAlarm 8 free firewall that gives the trouble. Sorry! TC.

mrwoowoo 22:20 22 Nov 2009

This may work with XP. Not sure about Vista though.
Stop ISWSVC.exe from running either in Task manager or run services.msc
and go to the bottom of the list and set Zonealarm Forcefield iswvc to manual in the properties pane when you right click on it. You can always go back and start it when you want to.

I assume that you have given all permissions in
your firewalls to allow steam access, including your router and Windows firewalls.
I gave up on Zonealarm a long time ago due to too many conflicts. It's totally unnecessary to have an extra software firewall as your router firewall and Windows firewall (together) are all you need.

TopCat® 15:06 23 Nov 2009

In my Services there is no mention of ISWSVC.exe or ZoneAlarm forcefield iswvc. However, I checked Zonelabs website and for CoD MW2 specifically, it recommends using its Game Mode. Never noticed before that there was such an option but I tried it last night and was able to load the game OK.

Before I started ZA flagged up some warnings about reduced security, but my couple of hours play seemed to pass by without any problems.

Thanks for the help, mrwoowoo, it was much appreciated. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?