Assasins Creed 2 - major problem, help needed.

Forum Editor 17:44 13 Dec 2009

My son has called me in desperation. He bought this game today, and fired up his X-Box in anticipation of an evening's fun.

He got a message telling him the X-box needed to update - no problem, he said that's happened before - and that went ahead.

The game appeared to load, and then suddenly he got what he calls 'The red lights of death' all four lights flashing red, and the console refusing to do anything. He tried a hard reboot, tried another game, but with no result - the console is to all intents and purposes locked solid.

He has no idea what to try next - can any of you offer any advice?

mrwoowoo 02:41 14 Dec 2009

Is your son aware that all Xboxes experiencing the ring of death have had their warranties extended for three years beyond the purchase date?
This is due to poor manufacturing processses such as lead free solder which is more brittle and tends to crack easily. Also the heat sink clamp can cause the motherboard to distort when it heats up, again causing solders to break.
Other than that it could be caused by a surge proter if he's using one. They can go a bit flaky and not provide enough juice, so try plugging it directly into the socket.
Or try disconnecting the hard drive ( after unplugging). Now plug back in and turn the console back on. If console does not show the three red lights error, turn it off and disconnect the power cord from the wall. Finally, reconnect the hard drive, plug in the power, and turn on the console.
If it still shows the rings of death again then you may be able to just replace the hard drive.
A build up off dust and/or overheating could be another cause.

mrwoowoo 03:24 14 Dec 2009

Just questioned one of my Xbox playing work colleagues ( i'm on nights) who says there was an audio and HDMI fix update that caused this problem for some xbox owners. It screwed up the HDMI interface somehow. The only way around it was to remove the HDMI cable and use rgb or scart instead.

IClaudio 13:13 14 Dec 2009

...Phew! For a moment there, FE, I thought you'd come over top the Dark Side and joined us gamers ;)

Forum Editor 17:32 14 Dec 2009

Thank you very much. I've passed all your advice to my son who says he's very grateful - he's going to work through the hard drive fix you mentioned, and check the HDMI situation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?