Zune versusWMP

m4819 11:29 28 Feb 2007

whats the difference between Zune and WMP?

Kate B 12:41 28 Feb 2007

Zune is Microsoft's music player click here; WMP stands for Windows Media Player, the software that comes with Windows but which you can also download click here It manages digital music and movies. I'm not very keen on it - I think the interface is clunky - but others like it a lot. I prefer iTunes click here The downside of iTunes is that it doesn't handle the .WMA format which is WMP's default; similarly WMP doesn't handle .AAC, which is iTunes' default. Both rip into and handle MP3, though.

All this becomes important if you're thinking of buying an MP3 player as there are format issues.

The Zune Market Place is Microsoft's program for buying music for use on it's Zune MP3 player. Similar to the music store of iTunes or other music store applications such as Napster.

Strangely however, music bought from the Zune market place has it's own type of DRM encryption, different to the standard encyption used on .wma, that will not work on any other MP3 player except the Zune. The Zune and Zune Market Place are only available in the US though so unless you live there you may as well forget about it for now.

Windows Media Player on the other hand is just that, a media player to play audio and video files. You can still browse music stores through its intgrated browser but its main purpose is not built around that.

m4819 16:14 28 Feb 2007

thanks for the info

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?