XP Media Black Screen

ArrGee 16:50 29 Sep 2006

My laptop has been running XP Media Center 2005 fine until today. It's permanently connected to a plasma screen via S-Video to Scart.

I can display the desktop, and anything else on the plasma, but now, when I start up Media Center, I just get a black screen on both the laptop and the plasma.

However, if I click on the Start button (on the keyboard) everything shows again until a click the pointer on the Media Center screen. Just goes black again with a white pointer in the middle of the screen for a few seconds.

If I take Media Center out of full screen mode, I can see it together with a taskbar.

I've checked screen/output settings. Maybe I've missed something?

STREETWORK 17:33 29 Sep 2006

Try pressing FN and F7 together and see if you get any options up. If this does not work you will need to check the settings in the graphics card drivers.

Have you installed any software since prior to this happening?...

ArrGee 21:53 29 Sep 2006

Sorry for the late reply. Will check this out in the morning. Thanks.

ArrGee 09:09 30 Sep 2006

FN and F7 on my laptop are for reducing brightness. I have made sure that the latest graphics drivers are in place too.

The only software that I have installed prior to this happening is GB-PVR click here

I have uninstalled this, but the problem still remains.

ArrGee 10:27 04 Oct 2006

Any other ideas from anyone.....?

JanaMan 18:05 05 Oct 2006

Im not sure about how it works with your graphics card but usually with my pc which is also connected to a tv through an ATI Radeon graphics cards S-Video and you may have tried it - right click on your desktop then click propeties it should take you to display settings

Then press the settings tab and then advanced - with my graphics card there is a display showing overlay and then clone mode and then its set on same on all - this show the boot up and windows start up/login and explorer on my TV.

I think that should work.
Otherwise backup your computer then try a driver rollback if this never occured before.

Other then that im not really sure

ArrGee 09:32 08 Oct 2006

Oh well, thanks for the suggestions people.

However, having had a look around the system, there were a number of other problems. Seeing as I use this laptop purely as a media centre, I decided to format and re-install.

All working fine again.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?