xd media cards & my laptop

Davy 43 21:17 02 Sep 2006

I have an Olympus digital camera, and I purchased a xd card.The card works fine in the camera & I can transfer images onto my Toshiba Qosmio F10 laptop using the Olypus software. The problem is that I cannot access the card when it is placed in the 'Bridge Media' slot on the laptop.When I do the above & look in My Copmputer the card is listed as removeable drive F, when I double click it freezes, and after approx' 1 min asks me to insert disk in drive F even though it's already in place.

Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

cycoze 21:47 02 Sep 2006

i have noticed that some card readers wont accept 1gb XD cards, the same can go for cameras built before this year without a flash upgrade, what size is your XD?

Davy 43 22:18 02 Sep 2006

It's only a 256mb Olympus card, I wonder if a Fuji card would have worked? camera bought 5 weeks ago Cycoze.

Al94 19:08 03 Sep 2006

I have a similar issue, recently bought at Fuji S5600 (cracking little camera on offer in PCW at £149) I also bought a 1gb Fuji XD card type H, I can transfer from the camera no problem using the USB cable but strange things happen when I try to read the card from the built in 5 in 1 card reader in my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop. All of the pictures have errors, like little lines of grey or sometimes green pixels, one or two per shot, small but still noticeable. Sometimes I cant read an image at all, just get a "read error" message in XP standard transfer or only part of the image transfers. All other cards,eg smaller 256mb XD cards work fine and SD cards up to and including 1gb don't cause a problem so there seems to be an issue with the larger XD cards and some readers.

Try to borrow a different type card Davy 43, do other type cards work, maybe your reader is at fault?

Davy 43 20:59 03 Sep 2006

Thanks AL94, will try. Spoke to someone today who suggests knocking down the photo quality to see if it makes any difference, I just thought a 256mb card would work fine.

Migwell 22:12 03 Sep 2006

How about trying a USB plug in reader, I never have any problems with mine. My USB card readers came from both Jessops and the 7 day shop and have both worked every time no problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?