Windows Vista

thospot 12:57 23 Dec 2006

Advice required regarding Vista, please..

I purchased the new Medion computer from Aldi's a few of weeks ago with XP Home installed and there is the choice to buy Windows Vista Home Premium for €19.95.. Offer ends April 07.

What are your thoughts and advice on this please..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:29 23 Dec 2006

Buy it, you won't get such a cheap offer again.

You don't have to install it!

thospot 14:41 23 Dec 2006

Sorry about the delay Fruit Bat /\0/\.. I have had a visitor...

Thanks for the advise but I'm afraid I don't know much about these things.. Will it be easy to follow everything thats neccessary?..

BRYNIT 10:02 24 Dec 2006

thospot

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ has said it is cheap if you don't like it you can always change back to WinXP using the Medion restore disk.

In the new year I will be ordering the disk myself just to try.

Remember if you do decide to install Vista make a backup copy of all the files you want to save just incase something goes wrong.

thospot 10:50 24 Dec 2006

Morning BRYNIT, thanks for your interest...

I have already sent for Vista. Not that I know anything about it, because I don't. I think that eventually it will become the 'norm' and will be on just about everybody's computer so I thought instead of being one of the last people to have it I might just as well be one of the first.. It hasn't cost me much, just €19.95 so if I can't use it I haven't lost much..

The trouble is, when you say 'make a backup copy' of this that and the other, I am lost.. I will need someone to take me through everything step by step and I will have to ask the forum for help again... It's not that I am stupid or cannot learn, I haven't got much of a memory now and I cannot retain any new information for long but it certainly keeps me going, trying..

Have a nice christmas BR.. er, whoever you are..

Forum Editor 16:35 24 Dec 2006

go to our dedicated Vista forum. There'll be many people like you, come Vista launch time, and we're here to help. This forum isn't really the right place for Vista-related queries, so use the Vista forum from now on.

BRYNIT 22:13 24 Dec 2006

Evening and a Merry Christmas thospot

To assist you a little the files you should back up would be any documents, pictures or music files. These you will usually find in the My documents file unless you have saved them somewhere else. You could also save your favourites (Internet web pages) this you will find in C:/documents and settings/User name.

Copy them to a pen drive/external hard drive or onto a DVD. You could also save them in a folder on the D drive as this will not be changed even if you use the original restore disk.

thospot 13:20 26 Dec 2006

I will close this thread now FE but first I must thank Brynit for his interest. I have noted all that you have said.
It has been a drawn out thread due to time of year and I apologise for not replying sooner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires