Will my lenses work

NewestRoyWidd1 17:53 08 Apr 2007

Having had a compact digital camera(Canon powershot)for a year now,and being most impressed,I'm now looking to get a digital SLR.
The Canon EOS models look good,but I'm wondering if my Minolta-fit lenses(all auto) from my old 35mm bodies would be useable with a suitable adapter?
I'm away for a couple of days and will look for replies/ideas on my return,many thanks in advance.

hssutton 22:39 08 Apr 2007

If you do get an adaptor the lenses will only work manually.

Why not consider the Minolta Maxxum 5D, I pretty sure your lensed will work ok with this camera, but do check first

NewestRoyWidd1 01:12 09 Apr 2007

Thank you,but Konica/Minolta no longer support their cameras,and I'm loathe to buy something,even if still available,that doesn't have makers support.
Perhaps someone out there has more ideas on the subject of Minolta-fit AF lenses working with another make of camera using a mount adapter.
The lenses were so expensive and useful,that I'd like to put them to use again if possible.
Many thanks.

hssutton 11:34 09 Apr 2007

Sony have taken over K/Minolta and are using the same lens mount for their Alpha range of cameras, so support and development is continuing on the lens mount front.

The value of s/hand Minolta lenses is not very good, so the 5D or the Sony Alpha would appear to be the only alternative other than biting the bullet

click here

click here
click here

Stuartli 13:15 09 Apr 2007

Standard 35mm lens must have the focal length multiplied by 1.5 to reveal the true focal length when used with a digital camera.

hssutton 15:05 09 Apr 2007

That depends on the sensor size. On some Canons there is no FLM on other Canons it's 1.6, other manufacturers have a factor of 1.5 or 1.7

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?