Why won't iTunes work

JOHN F K 20:09 14 Sep 2005

I have happily used iTunes for some years now with no problems. Until I attempted to download the new version (5). Every time I attempt to open the program it tells me "iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close." I have just installed a home network but have changed the DNS settings so that isn't the problem. I know this because I've installed iTunes on my son's new laptop without a problem. Of course I've stupidly overwritten my iTunes 4.9 installer so I can't reinstall that. Does anyone have an answer?

interzone55 21:04 14 Sep 2005

I'm getting this exact same problem, the installation also changed the IP of the DNS server on my wireless router for some reason which cocked up my net connection. Anyone got an idea why this is happening on iTunes 5?

Verdad 12:05 16 Sep 2005

Naively downloaded iTunes 5 yesterday -and lost all existing music -and then when I did a system restore it said iTunes needed re-installing -and it won't!
My kids will kill me -I've lost all their juke box music!
Can (or should) I try to find 4.9 (which did work) or WHAT!!!???

JOHN F K 13:30 16 Sep 2005

I'm now up and running. It was a QuickTime problem. I had an old QuickTime installation which wouldn't uninstall when installing iTunes, thus causing a conflict. If you can install QuickTime on its own you should be OK.
Also, I'm not too sure of the technical reasons for this, but if you manually put in your DNS Server address on Internet Connection Properties (which you can get from yoiur ISP) rather than obtaining them automatically, iTunes won't stop you accessing the internet.

burnside 21:31 16 Mar 2006

Just wanted to add to this thread because it solved my problem, and came up on google so I assume others will find it too. I was getting the same error message, and the following steps helped me:

1. Remove iTunes via Add/Remove Programs
2. Delete the Temp folder from C:\Documents and Settings\<i>User</i>\Local Settings (which is a hidden folder, make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected on the View tab of Folder Options).
3. Download and install the latest standalone version of Quicktime. click here
4. Delete the Temp folder again.
5. Restart computer.
6. Download and install the latest version of iTunes.

That's what worked for me, hope this is useful to others with the same problem!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?