Which Sat Nav?

tardis100 11:02 30 Oct 2007

Can anyone recommend a good Sat Nav please? I am looking for UK and Europe, particularly France, Belgium and The Netherlands. This will be my first so I don't want to make a mistake! So I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest. Looking for speed camera info too and what else should I be thinking about - any tips would be welcome? Thanks.

keef66 16:14 30 Oct 2007

I'd recommend a TomTom One Europe, based on my entirely positive experience with the UK version. Seems to come out top or nearly so in most of the surveys I've read

anchor 16:36 30 Oct 2007

The recommendation by keef66 is a good one.

It depends on your budget, but if you could afford more,( 259 from Amazon), then consider the new TomTom 720. This is their newest model, with a faster processor and more memory. It also has a wider screen, giving you a better view of roads to your left and right. There are other features too.

Review:

click here

Independent review here:

click here

As regards speed camera warnings, the general opinion is that the ones provided in the UK, (for a fee), by TomTom is not as good as those from Pocket Gps World, also for a fee.

click here

Ones for France are also available

click here

I don`t know about other countries. Hope this helps. Come back if you want more info:.

tardis100 19:12 30 Oct 2007

Thanks for your input anchor and keef66, appreciate that, I shall have a look around but it seems TomTom seems to have the best name. Do I understand that if I go for TomTom then I have to use their Speed Camera info? or could I get Pocket GPs world info downloaded on to TomTom? 'scuse my ignorance!

keef66 11:45 31 Oct 2007

I have the pocket gps speed camera database on my TomTom One; just follow the Fisher-Price instructions on the pocketgps site

anchor 14:24 31 Oct 2007

No, you don`t have to use the TomTom speed camera data base. As I said, the general opinion is that the Pocket GPS world one is better, and updated more often.

You can install this data base on the TomTom satnav.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?