Which photo editing software?

J B 13:14 26 Dec 2005

This time of year my wallet looks worse thad a bent nine bob note, so I am looking for a free photo editing program. At present I am trying out the Adobe photoshop starter edition, but I have noticed a few others including, Irfanview 3.97, Picasa 2, FastStone image viewer 2.29.
I have read articles on Adobe in PCA, along with Picasa 2 and both are spoken of highly, however Picasa 2 I hear is a bit of a memory hog, as well as Adobe but to a lesser extent. The one that I am looking for is the one with the most features and easy to use, in other words more bang for your buck. By the way I would not discount a Microsoft offering when I am a little more flush with the readies. My OE is XP Home, Hp Pavilion laptop, Amd Athlon XP-3000+m 40gb HD. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks J.B. I put this in the help forum so I thought why not here as well for further suggestions

Severn Bore 15:33 26 Dec 2005

Try this free program. It is alsmost as versatile as Photoshop CS! Find it here
click here

hssutton 17:05 26 Dec 2005

I would recommend photofiltre, this is a superb freeware package that is very versatile and user friendly click here

Bebee 08:26 27 Dec 2005

PhotoPlus 6 from Serif can be had for free click here an is a full but older version - they are up to PhotoPlus 9. It is quite a highly featured program.

jack 09:13 27 Dec 2005

Picassa from click here
This and all above should keep you busy a while.
All of them have a steep learning curve so patience is the rule.

J B 10:00 27 Dec 2005

Thank you for all the suggestions, and I will take these on board along with those from the Helproom and try them one at a time. I think it will be an interesting few weeks to say the least. Happy New Year to all. J.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?