Which Nikon lens?

tardis100 16:52 12 Feb 2009

I have a Nikon D-SLR a D60. I am still very new to the world of D-SLR. I am looking to purchase a telephoto lens something like 55mm – 200mm or 70mm – 200mm. but there seems so many to chose from and I don’t want to make a mistake! I do want it to be auto focus and probably have the vibration reduction too. Can anyone please tell me what I should be looking at? and is there a compatible lens that might be cheaper? Am I right in understanding that the camera body does not contain the auto focus mechanism but that it is contained within the lens? There seem to be so many letters describing these lenses and I haven’t a clue as to what they all mean but I gather that they are not all auto focus - Any help would be gratefully received.

Kemistri 18:17 12 Feb 2009

I wouldn't normally want to direct you away from this nice forum, but you should ask this at a forum that deals with photography in general or preferably Nikons specifically.

It's like how long is a piece of string. What's your budget? Do you crave critical sharpness? hate CA? Need very fast and accurate AF? Hate any f-number slower than f/2.8? Nikon only or 3rd party? What do you shoot? Birds (feathers on)? Landscapes? Street candids? Or everything?

I can tell you one thing: with a D60 and Nikon's strange "will we, won't we" approach to moving the AF motor out of the bodies and into the lenses (should have done it years ago if at all - now it's really too late to bother), you absolutely have to buy a lens that has its own AF motor. That restricts your options within Nikon's range and outside of it.

The really dumb thing is that in-body AF is not really a bad thing: at least Sigmas won't front/back-focus.

tardis100 18:57 12 Feb 2009

Thanks Kemistri I'll be off in search of a Nikon forum then.

esbe 23:11 12 Feb 2009

click here

cheers

Stuartli 00:22 13 Feb 2009

Why should members of these forums be unable to answer such a query?

As for "Birds (feathers on)? Landscapes? Street candids? Or everything?", words fail me...:-)

tardis100 07:28 13 Feb 2009

Thanks esbe that looks a good site - appreciate the help.

Kemistri 13:18 13 Feb 2009

"Why should members of these forums be unable to answer such a query?"

Mostly because it's not a photography forum, never mind an SLR forum, but also because people here tend to restrict their talk to compacts and there are only three members that I can think of who know anything at all about SLRs. You're one of them.

And why, exactly, do words fail you? Would you care to explain that strange comment?

Stuartli 14:52 13 Feb 2009

Nothing strange about it but there is, it seems to me, with regard to your query as to "what type of subject does tardis100 shoot?"..:-)

Kemistri 16:26 13 Feb 2009

I can see that you're in a mood for cryptic games, so I'll leave you to it. Feel free to PM me if at any time you feel like giving the proper explanation that I requested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?