Which DVD Recorder

Flopper 15:01 04 Nov 2006

Not sure if this is the correct forum but father Christmas has promised me a DVD Recorder and I need to leave him a note as to which make or/and model I want but I need advice on this.
If I try to download my home movies from my video camera to my PC it copies in chunks of 30 minutes and each half hour chunk takes up 30GB.
I intend simply to download my home movies from my video camera to the DVD Recorder, which (I am told) will compress the data to fit onto a blank DVD so I can edit it and re-burn the finished edit to a fresh DVD.
Are there any models I should avoid like the plague or do they all do pretty much the same thing?

rodriguez 16:16 04 Nov 2006

Most do the same thing. You'll want one with front AV inputs and some even have a digital input where you can plug in the camcorder's data cable (mine's a Philips DVR 610, but it doesn't have the data input, only video). Also get one with a hard drive as this is good for recording TV programs as you won't need to keep finding discs to use.

BT 08:10 05 Nov 2006

Tesco Have a Liteon DVD recorder for under £70. It takes all formats of disc and seems a good deal.

FatboySlim71 09:36 05 Nov 2006

I have a Panasonic DMR-EX85 and it will take - R/RW or + R/RW and DVD-RAM discs, just so you know.

Not sure if it will do what you want to do but I can imagine that it will, it will be best for you to check Panasonics website click here or contact them at either [email protected] or [email protected] and put your question to them to see whether or not it does, I have transfered some footage off of a VHS video tape on to my Panasonic DMR-EX85, so I would expect you will be able to do what you want, also it has on the front of it a DV in, S video in, and also audio left/right & video, so im 90 percent sure that it will do what you want. I can highly recommend the Panasonic DMR-EX85, its a fantastic machine, its perfect imo its not cheap at arount £420 but you only get what you pay for imo, also its editing features are excellent, you can easily cut out unwanted scenes advert etc.

n4165si 13:53 05 Nov 2006

flopper
you should look here
click here

Strawballs 14:23 05 Nov 2006

My daughter has a Liteon with an 80gig hard drive and she is more than happy with it.

You can record to the HDD and edit out adverts, titles and put in chapters before burning it to disc and if it is something that you want to watch later there is no need for DVDRW's and you can even do what sky plus advertise pause live TV.

Strawballs 14:24 05 Nov 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?