Which Compact Digital Camera???

funkey_monkey 13:57 18 Apr 2006

Hi,

i'm looking at buying a new compact digital camera. Presently I'm looking at the Sony DSC T* range and the Casio EX-S500.

Can anyone on here give me a heads up on them with recommendations and/or others to choose from.

Basically I am moving from a 10 year old cheap film camera (very basic model) and am looking for something with a low lag time that is easy to carry about.

Looking to spend as little as is needed as I've just bought a new PC as well.

I appreciate all advice and suggestions.

Thanks.

Al94 19:38 18 Apr 2006

Many of these compact digitals take superb photos, but produce lass favourable results with flash. This can range from a weak flash with poor penetration to a washed out picture (noticed this referred to in a PCA review of a Ricoh this week on this site and bears out the experience of a friend of mine)I am also disappointed with the flash results from a Nikon Coolpix S3 which I bought a couple of months ago. I love its features, compact size that really does go unnoticed in a shirt pocket, it takes fantastic pics in normal light but the flash pics are truly awful as a result of lensflare causing spotting that at first I thought was dirt on the lense. Currently in discussion with Jessops re this. When looking at these cams, get them in your hand and try to give them as thorough a testing as possible. Good reviews here click here

polo 16:55 21 Apr 2006

Go to click here where you can read everything there is to read about every camera. Top left hand corner there is a menu, click on 'camers' then say what make, then the model. Don't be tempted by some cheap offer, stick to makes such as Nikon, Cannon, Fuji, Olympus. Maybe best to get a second hand quality camera than a new cheap bargain. When you have decided what you want you can look a Jessops website to see if they have a used one. It doesn't say the price but tells you which branch any prticular camera is at and you can phone to ask about and they'll get it to a branch near you so that you can take a look at it. just a thought.

GaT7 14:27 25 Apr 2006

Here's a table with shutter lag (SH) times compared:

Sorted by ascending SH times for ONE photo: click here

Sorted by ascending SH times for FIVE photos: click here

Another problem with most d'cams is that they don't focus very well in low light. Some are better than others - if this is important to you read the reviews concerning this before purchasing.

Apart from the above, the best image quality & megapixel rating for your budget, you may also require one with some manual control, larger optical zoom with image-stabilisation, etc, etc. My advice would be, not to rush into it - do your research well before purchasing. Remember, it's also down to how well YOU use all the features to get the best results.

More review sites: click here, click here, click here, click here, click here, click here & click here. Good luck with final choice & purchase : )) G

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?