What’s wrong with camera battery equivalents?

MuDelta 12:37 03 Feb 2006

Genuine Canon NB-2LH batteries for my new Eos 350D cost about £40 whereas so-called equivalents are on the net for about £15. Are they really different in performance or ate the Canon products yet another example of “printer ink syndrome” – an inexpensive item which is used to greatly enhance profit. Or is it a case of “if it looks too go to be true, it probably is too good to be true” Opinions please, or better still, experiences.

Forum Editor 23:16 03 Feb 2006

I'm not sure, but I have the same camera, and I paid over £500 for it. When the time comes to replace the battery I don't think I'll be shopping around for the sake of saving £25.

PaulB2005 11:22 04 Feb 2006

The other experience you have to look at is the problem with "compatible" Nokia batteries. There were 3 or 4 stories of the batteries overheating and "exploding". In all cases they were Nokia compatibles and not the originals.

Canon will have developed the batteries for the camera.How much R&D do you think the equivalents had spent on them?

click here

click here

bazb 17:19 04 Feb 2006

I purchased an equivalent battery for my Canon Ixus camera as a spare, and found it very inferior to the original battery. It didn't last for very long when fully charged, and wouldn't hold its charge for long when stored.

HXP 01:12 05 Feb 2006

Well I brought one & it's fine - works perfectly same performance as Canon Battery

I have been using it for 3 months with no ill effect apart from an extra £30 in my pocket

see Ebay

NB-2L BATTERY FOR CANON EOS 350D POWERSHOT S30 NB-2LH A

europaco-dot-com

No explosions yet

HXP

Bebee 08:11 05 Feb 2006

I bought a Jessops battery as a back up for the 350D and have had no problems with it.

Tel 10:14 05 Feb 2006

I have used equivalent batteries for both my Canon S40 and EOS 20D purchased from 7Dayshop.com with complete satisfaction. These are used as spare batteries and rotated with the original Canon

MuDelta 11:33 05 Feb 2006

"Three or four" and all Nokia - one after the mobile had been dropped! Is it something to do with Nokia and or mobiles? I bet Nokia would be keeping as quiet as possible if one of their batteries went up!

The general experience seems to be good but let's hear more.

MDM

HXP 12:36 05 Feb 2006

I should have added that I sent emails to others who had used the same battery in their 350D ( you can view the sellers site and who brought what)

I sent 4 emails got 2 replies each of whom said they had used the batteries for some time with no problems.

If you look at the ebay site the trader has been in operation for some time and that I suspect means no major complaints to Ebay ?

The other good thing about the 350D is that you chage it out of the camera unlike the G2 I have which charges in the camera.

Hi jacking the link slightly -

One other thing I brought for it off ebay was a set of MACRO lenses for £20 and they are a bargain. Lots of fun to use !

MACRO & close-up lenses for Canon EOS 300D / 350D
Seller:mwieloch

I might as well add the canon 350d specific tutorial if you haven't seen it

click here

Follow the links for the REBEL XT ( USA name for 350D)

HXP

MuDelta 17:36 07 Feb 2006

Thanks all for your advice/comments. Keep an eye (ear?) open for reports (!!!) of trouble with a Eurobattery equivalent for Canon eos 350D.

Thanks again.

MDM

jonesmatt 13:55 16 Sep 2008

Having looked into this myself over some time I can only come up with one explanation as to the massive price variations between genuine and alternative batteries. The genuine Canon NB-2LH batteriesfor the EOS 350D are 7.4V 2000mAh. All of the aftermarket cheaper alternatives seem to be a much lower rating, 1200mAh and below. Some as low as 700mAh. I have 2 lower rated spare batteries (1200s) and they do not last as long as the genuine article, especially if you are using larger non USM lenses and/or using the flash a lot. They should not "harm" the camera, but you may need to carry more than one battery if you are planning a long day out or a weekend away. I hope that this is of some help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?