What happened to photos

merc. 18:00 07 Sep 2007

We went to visit friends during our holidays who wanted to see photos of our new house,so I put some from computer
onto a compact flash card via a card reader to show through my Canon camera to his tv, never thinking to try it before leaving
when we went to show photos camera could not find images yet they are still on flash card.

Is it not possible to put photos back onto flash card and show them through camera yet they are still JPG files

Merc

holme 18:36 07 Sep 2007

Unfortunately, it's a common problem.

Firstly, the TV must have the capability to display JPEGs. Not many do unless fairly recent. (Sorry if that's self-evident, I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs!)

Secondly, the directory structure on the card must be exactly correct for both the camera and the TV. So if you simply stick a load of images onto the card, as-is, they will almost certainly not be 'seen' by the TV. It may well report 'No card found' or similar.

If I may suggest a procedure for the future:
a) Take a few 'dummy' photos with the card in the camera.
b) Remove the card, put it in a card reader and note *exactly* where the dummy images are on the card. Often, they will be in a directory folder called DCIM, but this does vary from camera to camera.
c) Now copy any JPEGs you wish to display from the PC onto the card, ensuring that they appear inside the DCIM folder (or whatever it's called). d) Avoid using sub-directories. They may - or may not - be 'seen' by the TV.
e) If you wish, you can delete the 'dummy' photos, but it's best to do that in the camera, not via the card reader.
f) Don't be surprised if the images seem too wide when viewed on the TV (this happens on most but not all TVs, DVD recorders, etc. This is a limitation of the JPEG display circuitry in the unit. If it's a problem, it can be resolved by changing the aspect ratio of all the images so that the width is reduced by 7% (i.e. to only 93% of their original width) /before/ copying them onto the card. This can be done - as a batch -using a suitable batch-processing programme such as Faststone's Image Resizer. HTH.

merc. 21:10 07 Sep 2007

holme
thanks for all the suggestions, it was not just the TV not seeing the images but the camera could not find them as well it just said no images when I switch on the camera.

will have a go at what you suggested some time later in case I want to do the same thing.

Merc

holme 21:44 07 Sep 2007

" ...the camera could not find them as well"

I've just replicated your symptoms on our camera/CF card. The most likely reason is that, if you've just put them in the root directory of the card, and not in the DCIM folder (or whatever it's called on your camera), then the camera will not see them.

I've just noticed something else. On our camera, the exposed images are first put in a sub-folder (called 100Canon) which, in turn, is then put inside the DCIM folder.

So this confirms that you do need to make an *exact* note of where the 'dummy' images are kept on your card, and make sure you put your new house photos or whatever in the same (sub-)folder. HTH.

jack 09:50 08 Sep 2007

The problem is simply this.
The image file on a camera is 'NOMINALLY' Jpeg in fact its proper extension is EXIF.
This is JPEG with extra bells and whistles to record
camera/date and other data.
Uploading to a computer and editing will delete this extra- sometimes because the software system is not capable of recognizing it or if it does the action of saving the computer removes it.
Which ever -when it is load back to camera as a viewing device the camera will not recognise it.

There are software kludges to put a 'blank' EXIF extension to kid the camera. Paintshop Pro/Irfanview/ are two that come to mind I sure there are others - Google a bit

holme 11:19 08 Sep 2007

Hi. With respect, I don't think the EXIF extension is at the root of the explanation.

In my 'test' yesterday eve (see 21:44 posting), I purposely loaded a selection of images from the PC onto the root directory of a compact flash card from a camera.

Some images were from that camera (i.e. with EXIF data attcahed), some were from a very old camera (before EXIF was born) and some were scanned photos, saved as simple JPEGs (no EXIF). Also some TIFFs.

/None/ of the images were seen by either a TV or DVD recorder with JPEG/TIFF-display capability. I then moved all the 'test' images from the root directory into the DCIM directory (previously generated by the camera), tried again, and up they /all/ popped, regardless of format or where they originally came from.

Both the Panasonic TV and Sony DVD recorder user-guides explain this requirement in detail. HTH.

jack 19:41 08 Sep 2007

Stuff changes and moves on all the time. thats the problem what wont work to day - will tomorrow and vice versa- but the EXIF analagy still holds
DCIM [Digital Camera Image is part and parcel of EXIF.
Feast your eyes
click here

holme 20:10 08 Sep 2007

Agreed, but the folder acronym 'DCIF' predates Exif but was quite logically incorporated into Exif standards at a subsequent point.

The point which fully explains merc's symptoms is that JPEG/TIFF images loaded into the root directory of a medium for display on a TV will not be 'seen'. They need to be placed within a folder named DCIF. That's how the image display chip in a TV or DVD recorder/player works. Only recent models will display TIFFs. To be displayed, images do not require any Exif information (e.g. scanned photos saved as JPEGs/TIFFs). HTH.

merc. 14:24 09 Sep 2007

Thanks guys that was very interesting reading I am of to try what holme suggested in his 21.44 response.

sorry for late reply been away.

Merc

merc. 16:05 09 Sep 2007

I know I closed this thread but just to let you know I tried out holme's suggestion and found the 100 canon folder inside the dcmi folder copied some test photos to the 100 canon folder and tried them on camera and it works.

Great thanks again now I know what to do next time

Merc

holme 16:20 09 Sep 2007

Triffic! I'm pleased the theory works for you, phew.

Now you can bore people silly with pikkies of your new house! (Only joking, honest...) ;-?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone