Western Digital MyCloud security question

chub_tor 16:16 04 Aug 2017
Answered

I posed a general question regarding this item earlier click here and now I am on the verge of buying one but there is one thing I need to know.

Can I "reserve" a section of the drive where friends and family can post pictures and videos so that all those selected participants can see them but not have access to all my other documents, downloads, pictures etc. whick are also present on the server?

The reason for asking is that a large group of us have been on a holiday together and so we have lots of photos and videos taken on phones and cameras that we would like to share. Several Gb are involved so free cloud sites are too small and as I am getting the MyCloud for personal use anyway I thought that we might be able to use a part of that for sharing these pictures and videos.

Lorraine Baines-McFly 18:04 04 Aug 2017
  Gordon Freeman 18:19 04 Aug 2017
Answer

In answer to your question, yes you can. Rather than explain it here, take a look at how to create 'shares' - in short, these are areas which you can create on the drive to do exactly as you describe. You can have the option of adding a security log in or just make them public so no password is required.

Gordon Freeman 18:29 04 Aug 2017

Another thought, if you don't want to do that (create a public share) why not get a free 'dropbox' account, upload those holiday pictures, and let them store them on their own machines/pen drives/whatever? They in turn could do the same thing (upload their pics) so all others could access the holiday pics and save them somewhere locally if they wished to.

chub_tor 22:51 04 Aug 2017

Lorraine Baines-McFly thank you for your reply. I am not getting the MyCloud Mirror, just the basic MyCloud, so I am not sure if that makes a difference.

Gordon Freeman I think you have the answer in your first post as that is exactly what I want to do. As regarding the Dropbox suggestion the size that I will need is much larger than the free version allows.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?