VNC and Dynamic IP

biteblue 02:17 18 Feb 2007

I often use VNC to remote access my PC but i have a dynamic IP address. I have found a few ways of 'tracking' the IP address:

1. formyip.com
Found it annoying as a window pops up every 10 seconds and browser has to be constantly running.
2. Orb (as in remote media)
Incredibly slow (as in logging into the webiste from the remote PC) and also it doesn't run until im logged into windows (even though it is configred to).

I would just like to know if anyone knows of any good methods of traking an IP address.

Thanks

Rigga 11:31 18 Feb 2007

An alternative is Hamachi. click here I have used this lots and it's very usefull for creating a tunnel between two PC's like a vpn.

You can then run VNC over the Hamachi VPN to remote control the remote conputer.

HTH. R.

biteblue 10:28 19 Feb 2007

Unfortunatly Himachi doesn't help me much as i always use VNC from work where i won't be able to install or use it. THANKS MUCHLY anyways.

silverous 13:41 19 Feb 2007

Would dyndns work ? Would give you a domain name for your IP.

click here

silverous 13:42 19 Feb 2007

Could also try this

click here

biteblue 19:44 19 Feb 2007

DynDNS works great! Thanks
I've always found LogMeIn a bit crappy and it doesn't work too well with my PC.

silverous 19:54 19 Feb 2007

I haven't actually used logmein - just heard of it and know it is free which I thought might be important here. I use GoToMyPc for work and it is great, glad dyndns worked for you. We use them at work as our DNS provider and they are a good bunch.

Mark_H 08:00 20 Feb 2007

also most ISP's will flog you a static ip for a little on top of ur monthly subscription, thats the easiest way.

jridley1 08:32 28 Sep 2008

DynDNS is where it's at. there's an article over at variableghz.com that shows step by step how to make everything static and locked down; i'm too lazy right now to look it up, google is your friend.

worked for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?