VHS TO DVD TO EDITING SOFTWARE

CHELLESBELLS 01:54 19 Dec 2007

I know nothing about the digital world; however, I managed to copy a VHS home video (RCA DSPS Hi 8 camcorder) to a Memorex DVD+RW using a DVD recorder (ILO DVDR04). The DVD plays fine on both TV and computer. However, I want to edit out dead space and add transitions using either Windows Movie Maker or NIT CD&DVD Maker 7.0, which came pre-loaded on my PC. The problem is that both programs only recognize the file format avi/ mpg/ m1v/ mp2. When I look at the file format of the DVD+RW it says...
Video_TS.VOB / VIDEO_TS.BUP / VIDEO_TS.IFO / VTS_01_0.BUP / VTS_O1_0.IFO / VTS_01_1 / VTS_01_2 / VTS_01_3 / VTS_01_4

VIDEO_RM / VIDEO_RM.BUP /VIDEO_RUM.IFO

Please tell me in simple newbie terms what I can do to convert this to the required file format so that I can edit my DVD FOR A SPECIAL CHRISTMAS GIFT.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND HELP!!!

MCE2K5 03:05 19 Dec 2007

Here's one to going on with, click here

Video format: 3gp/3g2(Nokia,Siemens,Sony,Ericsson) asf, avi (DivX,H263,H263+,H264,XviD,MPEG4,MSmpeg4 etc..), dat,
fli, flc, flv (used in Flash), mkv, mpg (Mpeg I,Mpeg II), mov(H263,H263+,H264,MPEG4 etc..), mp4(H263,H263+,H264,MPEG4), ogg,
qt, rm, ram, rmvb, str (Play Station), swf (Flash), ts (HDTV), viv, vob, wmv
- Audio format: aac, ac3, amr, mmf, mp2, mp3, mp4, mpc, ogg, ra, wav, wma

More to come.

Les28 06:46 19 Dec 2007

Super as MCE2K5 mentioned should do the job for you, or you could try using VOB2MPG a free program
click here

just direct it to the folder containing your vob sets, that's the Video_TS folder on your DVD disc and output to a folder on your hard drive as mpeg2.
Windows Movie Maker may not be happy with accepting mpeg2 files but your NTI cd/dvd maker should.

However, rather than bothering with converting probably your easiest way to edit your DVD would be to download a free trial of some of the popular video editing programs and just import your DVD vob files directly into it for editing, I use Arcsoft Showbiz DVD and can import VOB files from the DVD disc and edit them and then burn to another DVD disc.
click here

CHELLESBELLS 21:03 19 Dec 2007

LES 28 & MCE2k5-- thank you so much for your advice. I will try it tonight and let you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?