VBR MP3 or FLAC paid-for music downloads

brundle 23:00 03 Oct 2007

Are there any services of that kind out there? I've downloaded 128Kbps tracks from ITunes, the bass is noticeably lacking.

PP321 08:08 04 Oct 2007

Not many of them do, due to the larger filesize/bandwidth needed.

What kind of music is it your after?

brundle 22:51 04 Oct 2007

Anything and everything. I think there's a gap in the market...

octaglider 12:51 20 Jun 2008

Just seen this.

They're rare but they do exist. Try:

click here
click here

al7478 22:19 20 Jun 2008

those are the only ones i know of either. unfortunately it seems the best way to get good quality music files now is to buy the CDs and rip to lossless or wav, or mp3, with a quality ripper like EAC.

Play.com sell many of their tracks encoded in MP3 at 320kbps although their library isn't great.

Napster sell all of their tracks encoded at 192kbps so they might sound a bit better than those from Itunes.

It seems buying the CDs still remains the only suitable choice for people wanting all of their collection in high quality.

al7478 23:36 20 Jun 2008

itunes does also have tracks in a higher bitrate, with no drm indeed, but they do cost more, and i dont know much about it as im not an itunes user.

brundle 00:11 21 Jun 2008

Thanks to octaglider, I'd forgotten about this thread. Thanks to other posters for additional info too - I'm ripping CDs to FLAC for the time being. There's also a format called WavPack which allows you to store a smaller `lossy` file as well as creating the lossless version but I've not tried it as yet. click here

al7478 00:46 21 Jun 2008

WavPack seems interesting. I must investigate further.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?