Using data sim from dongle in mobile phone to tether internet....

progress28 02:07 09 May 2014

Hi, My Vodaphone dongle recently broke but the Sim was undamaged. So as a quick fix a friend suggested I put it in my Galaxy S and tether the Internet. I don't have a phone contract with vodaphone its just a data usage contract via the Dongle. I have 4GB a month. Anyways, I put the sim from the Dongle in my phone, ticked the 'use packet' data checkbox and also ticked the USB Tethering check box and sure enough got on the internet as I expected.

To monitor data usage as I began surfing the net I installed a 'My Data Manager' app for my phone. Now during a given month when the dongle was working I very rarely got really close to 4GB of usage but according to my data manager at the moment I've used 3.95GB with only 54MB remaining and its only the second week of my monthly contract! ..even though I've been doing far less things on the computer as I was using the Dongle. There seems to be quite a bit of info around on the net if its a mobile phone sim used in a Dongle and many cautions about heavy data usage but in this situation its the other way around, as in my data sim from my dongle is being tethered by my phone. I figured my phone was just acting as the dongle hardware and my data sim usage would remain the same. Anyone know why the data is coming through at such a rapid pace on my data manager?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?