usb tv on my laptop

kidsis 16:27 23 Nov 2008

anyone have any recommendations for a usb tv stick for a low spec laptop? I wouldn't need to record, just watch, and probably would not miss radio. I would want to watch digital programmes. I have looked at plenty of them, but it is always nice if others can give their views. Thanks,

Stuartli 16:34 23 Nov 2008

You need a pretty strong signal - rarely does the small built-in aerial prove sufficient.

kidsis 09:20 24 Nov 2008

hi, thanks for reply Stuart. Once I know I can get a tv stick which would work I was then going to research getting some sort of splitter which would plug the aerial in to the main tv and then branch off to the laptop. I have no idea yet if these exist!

Stuartli 18:33 24 Nov 2008

Yes, they do, but cut the signal strength to both.

Better to use a good two-way (or more if necessary for other sets) aerial amplifier and feed the TV and the USB stick from it.

I ran the coaxial cable under the floorboards from a back room two-way aerial amplifier (the second outlet provides the main TV set feed) to a second aerial amplifier in the front room.

This, in turn, supplies the signal for another TV set with a Freeview STB and my computer system's PCI Freeview TV card.

I can watch TV either full screen or tucked away in a corner of the monitor whilst working on the computer; the other TV set is directly behind me so it saves twisting around to watch anything interesting.

tigertop2 10:24 25 Nov 2008

Try this site,
click here

I have 2 of their TV amplifiers in use and they have been excellent for improving signal strength. Provided you are already getting a reasonable signal

kidsis 13:46 25 Nov 2008

thanks to you both for your replies, much interesting material to research. I like the sound of the two way aerial amp, presumably the main aerial plugs in to that and then an aerial extension to the usb tv stick?

kidsis 10:22 16 Dec 2008

hi, resurrecting this to let you know the latest: I opted in the end for a pinnacle dvb t stick solo (bought from Amazon). At first there was a problem with downloading the software, so I went to the Pinnacle site and sent a message stating the error messages I received. I was very impressed with speed of reply and knowledge of the member of staff, anyway I was advised to delete part of the software and reinstall. I did this from their site, and hey presto it works. I am now on the verge of getting the slx amplifier recommended by tigertop2 as long as it is ok for freeview digital tv. A lot of these amps mention sky which we don't have, so I do not want to get the wrong thing that doesn't work with digifreeview!

Stuartli 23:46 19 Dec 2008

An aerial amplifier is just that - an amplifier.

Where the signal comes from is irrelevant, but is normally analogue or digital television transmissions via a coaxial aerial lead feed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?