usb freeview for pc-reception as good as a standard box?

theDarkness 12:37 05 Sep 2008

I was thinking of purchasing a usb freeview device to watch tv on my laptop, but reviews for most seem to be varied. In the same location, are they as good as a standard box with an ariel of the same strength? Im not after anything special (being able to record etc) although being able to view freeview teletext would be a nice bonus. Has anyone had any experience and able to recommend any brand? I would imagine connecting the usb freeview to a non roof ariel will give a jumpy picture, but if the signal is of a medium strength, is it bad enough to stop you from using it? If anyone has any experience would be much appreciated.. thanks

Esc4p3 13:41 05 Sep 2008

Depends what kind of signal strength you can get - in my house I am in a good signal area but this various from room to room. But to answer your question, I have a Hauppage TV USB stick with a £9.99 indoor freeview ariel (from Argos) and the picture is every bit as good as the freeview from my main house ariel. But as I said this can vary from room to room. The small ariel supplied with the USB stick was next to useless for me.

I don't think my version of the tuner has digital text though, but I know others do.

Stuartli 09:53 07 Sep 2008

You cannot, to the best of my knowledge, use Freeview digital text or Active services using a DVB PCI TV Card or USB stick with a computer system.

However, you may be/can receive analogue text with such cards (my Twinhan Freeview D+A TV card offers the feature).

Stuartli 09:53 07 Sep 2008

There's no such thing as a "Freeview aerial" - the correct term is wideband.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?