upscaling DVD - is it worthwhile?

puddin 21:20 23 Aug 2007

Having just bought a plasma tv, my next thought is to wards an upscaling DVD player to make best use of my collection of (SD) DVDs.

As I understand the technology, the TV has upscaling circuitry built-in to deal with broadcast signals. I have Sky+ the TV has Freeview and analogue - all looking pretty good (even analogue!).

Watching a DVD from my (non-upscaling) DVD player produces what appears to be a faultless picture from normal view distance.

My question is: If I purchase an upscaling DVD player (thinking of the Panasonic S53EB to use the Panasonic Viera Link to the TV), will there be a significant improvement in picture quality over my present arrangement? Will the player be duplicating the functionality of the TV?

I feel there should be an improvement, given that the HDMI signal would be digital while the SCART signal is analogue, but would I notice?

puddin 00:18 25 Aug 2007

Beta:
While your opinion on DVD players may be interesting,
you did not address the question in my OP, namely: does the circuitry in an upscaling DVD player (of any price) duplicate what the TV will do to a SD signal?

Supplementary questions: what standard (in terms of 720i/p, 1080i/p or etc) does a SD DVD player generate, and what is the effective resolution on my Panasonic TH37PX70 TV when connected via SCART?

puddin 12:38 25 Aug 2007

...so, does the upscaling DVD player merely duplicate the function already built in to the TV or not?

puddin 22:21 26 Aug 2007

Beta - It's not that I don't understand your answer. I don't think you are answering my question. I appreciate your time spent on responding, but can you simply say "yes" or "no": does a TV such as I have duplicate the upscaling function of an upscaling DVD player (of any make)? If so, is there any point in buying such a player to play STANDARD definition DVDs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?