TV with Built in DVD Player & Freeview

Columbian_Buck 20:57 27 Feb 2009

In my local Morrisons supermarket there are some televisions available that have a built in DVD Player and Freeview.

I live in an area than cannot receive Freeview at the moment and doesn't look like it will be able to for another couple of years yet - will the Analogue channels and DVD Player still work or do these kind of TV's only receive information through Freeview?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

oresome 21:51 27 Feb 2009

The DVD player will work regardless of reception of freeview.

Check with the store that the TV has an analogue tuner.........most if not all do.

Pamy 22:37 27 Feb 2009

suprised that a local supurmarket would have freeview tv's for sale if you cannot get freeview

Stuartli 00:04 28 Feb 2009

I would buy a "proper" Freeview TV (normally an analogue tuner is also included in the specification) and opt for a separate DVD player (cheap as chips these days even for a top brand model).

Apart from the fact that you will almost certainly be buying a better quality TV, if you have a set with a built-in DVD player you are likely to be without it for a while if the DVD unit goes faulty.

jack 09:20 28 Feb 2009

Like HiFi and audio systems - separates is best.
apart from the obvious- individual units are assumed to be the better quality product and the price differential is little

anchor 15:06 01 Mar 2009

Either ask at the store, or telephone customer services on 0845 611 6111

Stuartli 15:46 01 Mar 2009

I would suggest that the majority of Freeview TV sets will also have an analogue tuner - many people still use VCRs and similar equipment.

In fact Panasonic emphasises that its in-built Freesat TVs also come with analogue and Freeview tuners.

john bunyan 14:56 08 Mar 2009

I have two digital TV's, a Sony and a Pioneer. Both about a year old. From time to time a "static" noise is heard at the back, and some or all Freeview channels are either missing or poor. When I use the attached DVD recorders as tuners , the picture is ok , indicating the aerial is ok. I have to do a re-installation to resore the situation. In our area the Freeview channels are being upgraded / changed on 25 Mar. I find it annoying that this happens - I am sure the "wiring" of HDMI and Scarts is ok. Any views? Same thing used to happen with a set top box.

john bunyan 14:57 08 Mar 2009

Meant this to be a new thread - please ignore!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?