tv aerial amplifier

craig41 23:05 30 Nov 2008

I have a four way tv aerial amplifier connecting 4 tvs in seperate rooms. I would like to add a fifth, and was wondering if there is a way this could be done without spending around £30 purchasing a 6 way amplifier.

natdoor 09:01 01 Dec 2008

You could try a 2 way splitter on one of your four amplified outputs. These can be obtained for under a fiver. Alternatively a 2 way amplifier could be used but there might be dynamic range problems if theoutput from your amplifier is high.

Stuartli 19:06 01 Dec 2008

A splitter is not necessarily the best route.

You could buy a two-way aerial amplifier and connect it to one of the four-way aerial amplifier's sockets; this will provide you with five outputs.

oresome 21:51 01 Dec 2008

Use a splitter on the output feeding the nearest room.

Adding a second amplifier is not a good idea as it's input is likely to be overloaded, particularly by the analogue signal, as natdoor says.

Unfortunately, amplifiers don't just amplify, they add noise and create intemodulation products.

Stuartli 00:24 02 Dec 2008

I use two aerial amplifiers (both two-way), the first of which feeds a main TV and a second aerial amplifier, some 25 ft away, via an under the floorboards coaxial cable.

In turn the second two-way aerial amplifier feeds an analogue TV (via a Freeview STB) and my computer system's Twinhan PCI Freeview TV card.

As I can actually see the TV transmitter by walking about a mile from my home into the countryside, you would expect there might be problems with (too much) signal strength, but the reverse is the case.

craig41 12:45 02 Dec 2008

Hi all, and thanks for your comments.I have added a 2 way splitter as mentioned. Unfortunatly on the cfeed i have split, i am now unable to get ceratin stations, such as itv 1.
Can anybody help?

Stuartli 16:18 02 Dec 2008

A splitter reduces the signal strength to each output, which is why I stated it is not necessarily the best route.

Digital TV transmissions are very low strength at present until the full digital service comes in at each transmitter; in the case of Winter Hill, which serves my area, the digital transmission strength is 1/87th of the analogue signal.

oresome 18:45 02 Dec 2008

A good quality transformer splitter will introduce a loss of 3dB to each output. You would normally expect a viable signal to be at least 20dB above threshold, so the splitter should make little difference.

The headroom above threshold allows for bad weather conditions etc, which of course you may have experienced today.

If the signal is so low in normal conditions, Stuartli's suggestion of a second amplifier may work, but the better solution would be a distribution amp with the required number of ports.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone