Transfering music from Cassete to digital

baldyx 20:57 27 Aug 2007

I wish to transfer music held on cassete tapes to my pc (MP3,WAV format etc).

Any suggestions please.
Thanks.

holme 21:56 27 Aug 2007

Possibly simple - possibly not...

Do you have a cassette player which has an audio 'line out'? Probably a pair of phono sockets coloured red/white or sometimes black/white.

If yes, you can connect them directly to a line In socket on the PC (usually a 3.5mm stereo jack socket.

Then record using the Windows recorder (Start - All Programs - Accessories - Entertainment - Sound Recorder, or something like that). You can save the file in various audio formats.

If there are no line output sockets, you could try linking a headphone out to the PC line in, but the sound level will be very low. There's various ways round that (possibly) but see how you get on. HTH.

jack 09:05 28 Aug 2007

Simple - acquire a double ended 3.5 mm jack cord
-a cord with a 3,5 mm plug each end- most HiFi/Audio stores carry them.
one to phone jack on cassette player the other to line in on the PC. - all you need then is a recorer program,
Free ones such as Audacity or from click here

holme 12:54 28 Aug 2007

With due respect to jack's posting, it may well turn out not be as simple as he suggests.

Firstly, using a cassette player's line OUT (if fitted, and not to be confused with line IN) will always be the preferred method as the sound level is max 1V peak-to-peak, ideal for digitising.

The sockets will almost always be standard phono (RCA) type.

But if you have to fall back on using the headphone socket, there may very well be a 2.5mm stereo jack socket at one /or both/ ends, in which case you will need a suitable cable with either a 2.5mm or 3.5mm stereo jack plug at each end, or alternatively an adaptor,e.g. click here.

Although cheapo, stereo jack adaptors are not generally available on the high street.

Finally, the audio level from a headphone socket is only a few mV and invariably nowhere near enough for direct digitising using, say, the built-in Windows recorder. It's often necessary to increase the amplitude by c. 500% to restore the volume. The Windows recorder won't do that.

So as I said originally: "Possibly simple - possibly not..." It really does depend on whether or not you can use a line output. HTH.

jack 15:39 28 Aug 2007

Holme - dont frighten people with technology - you may be right
but
all any one can do is to try.
As it happens I have made many transfers to PC using the double ended line from earphone jack on a cheapo Walkman to line in on PC- Done lots of times - no problem.

baldyx 16:11 28 Aug 2007

Thanks Holme and jack

Will try your suggestions.

As to 'dont frighten people with technology ',
I don't think Holme is trying to frighten any body
as Holme has recently helped me successfully with another topic (VHS to DVD transfer ).

It is better to have more options available to solve a problem.

baldyx 18:08 28 Aug 2007

Jack - your 'click here' leads me to a web site which I am not sure deal with products relevant to my query!

holme 19:18 28 Aug 2007

"... Holme has recently helped me successfully with another topic (VHS to DVD transfer )"

And not a penny spent!! :-]

jack 19:57 28 Aug 2007

Jack - your 'click here' leads me to a web site which I am not sure deal with products relevant to my query!
Not my Clicky baldix but Mapilb probably do do all you need their catalogue is massive=
Ive been making up a 9from 15 AV cable of late with two different ends- I could not see the plugs and sockets then the shells I needed
But an E-mail enquiry describing your need brings back a reply with 24 hours giving cat., No and an illustration.
So send them a mail

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone