Tomtom One question

handful 17:19 12 Jun 2008

Can anyone tell me the difference between the TomTom One GB V3 and the TomTom V3 Explore? They seem to be similar in price and reading through the features, nothing stands out as being different. Any help with this appreciated.

anchor 16:00 13 Jun 2008

As far as I understand it, they are the same models; except the Explore box contains a free carry case.

handful 16:10 13 Jun 2008

Thanks anchor, someone I know mentioned this morning he thought the 'Explore' might be a smaller hand held version for those on foot but I can't seem to see any evidence of this. Would anyone else know?

anchor 09:16 14 Jun 2008

No, its the same model. It is quite small & light.

96mm x 82mm x 25mm / 174g

Bear in mind that primarily TomTom`s are designed for road use. On my 920, (with the latest operating system), there is an option for a walking route, but not having tried it, I cannot comment how good it is for that.

handful 14:20 14 Jun 2008

Thats ok, I want it for car use, just didn't want to buy the wrong one! Thanks for the response.

anchor 15:35 14 Jun 2008

I suggest that when you get it you immediately make a backup to your PC; (use copy and paste to do this).

Then install TomTom "Home" on your PC. Connect your device, and see what updates are available. TomTom give a free 30 days latest map guarantee. The current UK version for yours would be map version 7.20.

handful 17:22 14 Jun 2008

Great tip, thanks anchor. I see from googling around it is advisable to get the Europe version as it has 1mb of memory as opposed to 512kb on the GB version which stops you from upgrading to Europe at a later date if required. Or downloading the Europe map on p2p illegally perish the thought.

anchor 14:57 15 Jun 2008

Not that you would even consider it; but, (from what I read on the SatNav forums), illegal copied TomTom maps are most unlikely to work.

Quickbeam 09:26 20 Jun 2008

Are you wanting one for walking use? If so you can get a Road Angel 7000 Adventurer that will also load Memory Map Ordnance Survey mapping click here or click here

anchor 16:17 20 Jun 2008

Quickbeam: In his 14.20hrs post of 14th June handful said, "I want it for car use".

He seems to want a compact device that can easily be carried, and removed from the car. Hence the talk about the TomTom.

handful 17:58 20 Jun 2008

Thanks for answering for me anchor and for the response Quickbeam! I wanted it for car use as anchor says, I have just taken the plunge and bought a V3 for Europe, got a good deal from Halfords as I was buying another one for my workplace. They matched the best price I could find online and threw a case in as well! Thanks again, I will tick as resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?