Time slip and Pause live TV

tardis100 22:49 02 Aug 2006

Hi folks - this is a complete novice here. Can someone please tell me if "Time slip" and "Pause live TV" mean the same? I'm looking for a DVD Recorder that will pause live TV - Argos make it plain in their catalogue but when I looked in Currys - they seem to use different language!! Thanks.

FelixTCat 23:04 02 Aug 2006

tardis,

No doubt everybody has their own interpretation; my understanding is that "pause live TV" means that you can press a button whilst watching a programme live (e.g. if the phone rings) and return to the TV and press another button and playback starts from where you stopped.

"Timeslip" is being able to start watching a programme from the beginning whilst it is still being recorded (you can, of course, fast forward to any point thereafter).

The difference is subtle.

Regards,

Felix

tardis100 23:26 02 Aug 2006

Thanks FelixTCat - I understand what you mean. In Currys I was looking at a Liteon LVW 5025 GH no mention of pause live tv only time slip. But I guess if I start to record (when the phone rings)!! then that would be the same thing. Thanks.

The Old Mod 07:33 03 Aug 2006

Hi Tardis, I recently bought the Liteon 5045 from Argos, that has both pause and timeslip. Very pleased with it so far.

FelixTCat 07:37 03 Aug 2006

tardis,

Yes, I think it is mainly the freeview and Sky personal recorders who have pause live TV - I'm not so sure of Sky, but most of the Freeview boxes automatically record half an hour of the channel you are watching so that with them you can even rewind to watch a program clip over again before watching the rest of the programme.

Again, I think you have to have a recorder using DVD-RAM to have time slip, but I'm sure somebody will prove me wrong.

Regards,

Felix

tardis100 07:59 03 Aug 2006

Thanks to The Old Mod and Felix again. Unfortunately I can't get Freeview in my area and haven't ventured into Sky yet. But your info. is all helpful especially DVD-RAM. I shall continue my search! Thanks again.

Confab 13:43 03 Aug 2006

Just for the record you don't have to have a DVD RAM recorder to have the time slip facility. My Pioneer recorder has a time slip facility and uses DVD-RW.

Confab

Diemmess 17:41 03 Aug 2006

My Panasonic all singing all dancing DMR EH600 will record any channel on its internal HD.

Provided the recording has been running for more than 8 seconds can be played back from the beginning and paused when required, while the recording itself continues.

Arnie 00:11 04 Aug 2006

"Again, I think you have to have a recorder using DVD-RAM to have time slip, but I'm sure somebody will prove me wrong".

You're correct FTC. I use time slip, pause, fast forward and stop on my Panasonic DMR-ES10, using DVD-RAM discs.
This allows me to record a program with advert breaks and say 20 mins later, watch the program whilst fast forwarding the adverts as required.
this does not affect the recording in any way, it simply soldiers on.

DVD-RW discs will only record and play back in the conventional way. The recording has to play to the end before it can be viewed in its entirety.

Confab 12:34 04 Aug 2006

DVD-RW discs will only record and play back in the conventional way. The recording has to play to the end before it can be viewed in its entirety.

Sorry Arnie but you are not correct

Have a look here ikts called chase play

click here

My DVD recorder uses DVD-RW's and I can watch, fast forwad, rewind etc any part of a prog whilst still recording it.

Arnie 00:00 05 Aug 2006

The information I presented was relative to my Panasonic DMR-ES10 recorder.
If I set a DVD-RW disc to record and later press play, something like the following appears on the screen.

"Invalid action during recording"

Since your machine is able to function in the same way as my DVD-RAM discs I apologise and stand corrected.

I notice your machine is not RAM specified but it looks very good, as would be expected from Pioneer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone