Taking pics with Nikon D60

tardis100 22:02 12 Dec 2008

Having used a digital compact camera for many a year I decided recently to go for a DSLR and on seeing the Nikon D60 on offer that’s the one I bought. I’m slowly getting used to it BUT I am only able to use the viewfinder to take pics. The use of the LCD screen seems to be unavailable. It lights up with all the settings etc and when the picture is taken I can see the result by clicking on the playback button - but surely there must be a setting that allows a pic. to be taking by using the screen to compose the scene etc rather than using the viewfinder every time? Can anyone help me out on finding the setting please?

Forum Editor 00:20 13 Dec 2008

the whole idea of these cameras is that you compose the shot by looking through the lens. What you see is what the lens sees.

The LCD screen is there to display menus and images already captured, as well as other information, and in fact your camera has a feature that turns off the LCD display automatically when it detects that your eye is looking through the viewfinder.

You have acquired a beautiful camera - I hope it gives you years of photographic pleasure.

tardis100 07:02 13 Dec 2008

Thanks for the reply though I must admit to being slightly disappointed that composing a pic through the LCD screen is not an option - no doubt I shall get used to it! Thanks very much again.

hssutton 10:44 13 Dec 2008

Most of the new Nikon DSLs, D90 upwards have what you want and it's called liveview.

I'm sure you will soom become accustomed to the optical viewfinder which is a far better way of composing and holding a DSLR.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?