Tablet for travelling & working?

rock_face 23:19 24 Sep 2015

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing an 8" tablet - for travelling I think a 10" is a bit on the big side. I've looked around until I've got confused by the number of choices and it seems that there are 3 - 4 prime contenders - namely the Asus Zenpad Z580C, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and the Tesco Hudl 2.

I want this device for generally watching videos and whilst on holiday emails and booking things etc.

I would like the ability to connect a keyboard as I find typing on a tablet a bit of a hassle - although I can manage it fine.

Are there any out of these three that is the one to go for?

Leftfield question - if I wan't to learn some programming language whist away would there be a problem installing the IDE to allow development, compilation, debugging and execution of programs?

Yes - I know its not the ideal platform for this, but I've got something at home which is well suited to the task, but whilst on holiday I would like to keep up the training. I can't envisage myself in front of it for great periods of time either.

For my style of travelling (which is the prime driver here) I don't think anything over 10" would be suitable. 10" itself seems big, the 8" just seemed like an ideal size.

Any advice would be appreciated.

o2customerservice 09:08 25 Sep 2015

Apple iPad Air 2 The iPad Air 2 is a nice refinement and finesse of last year's model, with a bevy of tweaks, enhancements, a much faster processor, and the welcome addition of Touch ID. Simply put: it's still the gold standard for tablets.

Google Nexus 9 The Google Nexus 9's premium build, speedy performance and consistent updates render it one of the best high-end Android tablets.

Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet For novice Android users with a desire to greatly personalize their experience, the Sony Xperia Z4 is a beautifully constructed tablet with high-end specs that won't disappoint.

Dell Venue 8 7000 With its powerful 3D camera and strong image editing features the Dell Venue 8 7000 makes the strongest case yet for tablet photography.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 While the new Surface Pro 3 is Microsoft's best PC to date, it's more successful as a tablet than a laptop replacement.

Amazon Fire HDX 8.9 Impressive Amazon features and an outstanding display make the the Fire HDX 8.9 one of the best and most affordable media consumption tablets.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:35 25 Sep 2015

Niece has a hudl2 and loves it (previously had ipad) for the cost you can't really go wrong.

I use an old (2011) Nexus 7 for films, browsing, ebooks, and the odd game when travelling.

Add a bluetooth keyboard or a USB keyboard via an OTG (on the go) USB cable

I am Spartacus 13:25 25 Sep 2015

I’d recommend a Hudl 2 as well, it has a great full HD screen and is ideal for watching movies in widescreen and is well priced. The only slight negative is the battery life as mine lasts for just over 6 hours when watching movies. If you get a 10000MaH Power Bank (make sure it has a 2.4A output) then that will allow you to charge it and use it at the same time when you’re away from a fixed power source.

I was unfortunate enough to have 2 of the early Hudl 2s that had the battery problem and Tesco Support were excellent and arranged for next day doorstep exchange without quibble on each occasion. They probably have the best support of any Tablet Supplier in the UK.

I wouldn’t recommend a Samsung under any circumstance, the Touch Wiz interface looks pretty but saps power to the point where my Galaxy Tab S 10.5 feels sluggish far too often.

Forum Editor 09:39 26 Sep 2015

Apart from its price the iPad Mini (which is what I travel with) is the best there is. If your budget doesn't run to that, go for the Hudl2.

rock_face 21:06 26 Sep 2015

Will these both run an IDE?

Forum Editor 23:00 26 Sep 2015

The short answer is yes.

rock_face 18:29 27 Sep 2015

And the long answer is? I assume this means it's difficult to set up?

rock_face 18:36 27 Sep 2015

Thanks - I've been looking at the Hudl 2 - has there been an update to it midstream? The early ones appeared to have issues with battery life, correct?

Is the Hudl 3 due out this month still? If so, are early versions of new models to be avoided until gremlins are ironed out?

I am Spartacus 14:42 01 Oct 2015

Some of the Hudl 2s have problems with battery charging when switched on and in use. When you plugged in the charger it would still gradually lose battery life rather than charge properly.

There have been 2 software updates that are supposed to have cured the fault. In my case I had 2 Tablets with the fault replaced next day, under warranty and without hassle.

The rumours about the Hudl 3 suggests it will have a more powerful CPU and I would expect the screen to continue to be the excellent full HD that's in the Hudl 2 at least.

Bearing in mind the Tech Support that Tesco offer I would have no hesitation in buying the latest version when it's released. I expect the price will be at least £130 but it could be more so the Hudl 2 will probably still be a bargain at £99.

rock_face 15:16 04 Oct 2015

I've spent some more time looking at these in a shop.

I've also seen online that I can apps to run IDEs on Android - such as AIDE and C4droid. So that eases my fears about doing the programming on Android - which would probably only be a small protion of usage at best of time.

In the shop I noticed the Asus Transformer in more detail. I liked the look of them except the tablet has a large border/margin around the screen. Particularly I like the look of the T90 Chi or possibly the T100 Chi - even though it might be a bit on the big side. The T90 keyboard does not have a tracker pad.

From speaking to a friend we discussed that I could have a large screen (19" - 22") and bluetooth keyboard/mouse and connect the transformer to that as a full size option when wanting to work for long hours statically at home. Many of the reviews seem to be complaining about Win8.1 on these devices whereas my understanding that they are different beasts when running Win 10. - Would the tranformer be suitable for that setup as basically a docked device? - Why is noone selling the Transformer T90 Chi? It is still on the Asus website. Looks like a good option for me.

My other option would be (if above was not feasible) to purchase a cheaper Android tablet/keyboard combo. In the shop I seen an Asus Zenpad 10 which had an amazing screen for £130. The other option would be their Zenpad 8 for £100 (Z380 - not Z580). I would then need to purchase a laptop for the occassions where I need the comfort/power of a larger machine.

• Any word on when the Hudl 3 will be released? From what I've read it should be sometime early this month, but I've not found anything to confirm this yet.

Thanks for all the advice so far. The info has been greatly appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?