A survey on what is a good computer for video edit

1936 11:19 18 Apr 2007

Yes, I’m back again and just as indecisive. Although I have gained a great deal of very useful information from this forum try as hard as I may I have been unable to identify a consensus from the contributors to this Web Page on what is the favoured computer to use for editing video.
I keyed, “Best computer for editing video” into the Web and because those who construct the Web Pages are cunning all sorts of computer names come up but that’s as far as they went because having got you to look at their Web Pages there is no guidance as to which of their computers they actually suggest is more suitable than others for editing video. So, from the following computer manufacturers and taking into account service as well as performance which one is considered a good computer for editing video?

Acer
Apple Mac
Compaq
Dell
Eversham
HP
Mesh
Novatech

I am Spartacus 11:36 18 Apr 2007

From the list above I would go for Novatech, good prices and great service.

Depending on your budget I'd be looking for a Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, a couple of decent size hard disks, with one being used as a 'scratch' disk for video editing. An external hard disk for backup would be sensible.

The graphics card doesn't need to be anything special for video editing but I'd avoid on-board graphics.

My previous PC was from Novatech and I cannot fault their service.

My new PC was a custom build from Komplett and I haven't had any problems. After saying that I don't know what their service is like if things go wrong but they were recommended by a few people.

jack 12:03 18 Apr 2007

The choice between PC or Mac first
best software is the thing to look at, there
when that is decided you can then sort out the computer
A Mac is a Mac is a Mac-just buy the biggest and best you can afford- the software -a limited rang I think.

The PC?
As big a memory and HDD as your wallet will allow
Movie editing is very resource and HDD capacity hungry.
As metioned possibly a Novatech basic box and build on it from there rather than a complete ready made that may have limited upgradability.

bfoc 23:09 18 Apr 2007

8 interviews for inclusion on a DVD, using an Acer core duo laptop with 1Gb of memory, via a Creative Audigy2 ZS Video Editor with no processing problems at all.

However, as has been said, you will 'eat' hard disk space. So, as large a hard disk as possible and/or budget for a fast external drive.

Of course it will depend on what sort of videos you want to produce!

1936 23:26 18 Apr 2007

I have a large number of VHS tapes of my children and grand children and I want to transfer their content to a computer, edit the rubbish out, add titles/comment and transitions and burn them to DVDs so that they can be viewed on a TV.
I would like a stand alone computer to do this and although I read that I need a dual core processor, between 2GB and 4GB of RAM with 2 about 250GB hard disc and an external hard disc of about 500GB for safety nowhere can I find a recomended brand name and I am looking for someone who has actually done what I want to do to say what computer they used and if it was suitable.

jack 08:11 19 Apr 2007

What you want to do is achievable with that sort of Spec
But you wont find it in a branded ready made
So a basic 'box' and build on it - Novatech is the route for s upplier and build it yourself or
find someone to assemble it for you if you are not happy with doing it your self.

I am Spartacus 09:08 19 Apr 2007

I've done what you're intending to do with a custom build PC circa 2003 (from Novatech). This had a Pentium 2.53 and 1GB Ram and I had no problems with editing video other than the rendering process took a long time. After saying that we're talking about an hour for a large clip.

My current PC is another custom build (from Komplett) with a Core 2 Duo and 2GB RAM and 'eats' the rendering process.

To date I have about 170GB of video.

I use Pinnacle Studio to do the capture and editing but wouldn't actually recommend it as it's a bit flakey but it's the only program I'm used to.

Woolwell 15:58 19 Apr 2007

For my video editing I use an Evesham with a dual core processor, 2Gb RAM, a reasonable graphics card and 250 Gb Hard Disc. Rendering still takes a while for a 2 hour plus video. I have Firewire for capture form the camcorder.

hastelloy 20:18 19 Apr 2007

Processor (CPU)
INTEL® Core 2 Duo E6300 (2 X 1.86GHz) 1066MHz FSB/2MB L2 Cache
Memory (RAM)
2048 MB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x1GB)
Motherboard
ASUS® P5LD2 SE/C: DUAL DDR2, S-ATA, x16 VGA, 3 PCI/3 PCI-E
Operating System
MICROSOFT WINDOWS® XP PRO (inc. Genuine CD & license) (£95)
USB Options
4 PORT USB 2.0 CARD (TOTAL: 10 USB 2.0 PORTS!)
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
150GB SERIAL ATA RAPTOR HDD WITH 16MB CACHE (10000rpm)
2nd Hard Disk
160GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st CD/DVD Drive
16X DVD ROM WITH 48X CD ROM
2nd CD/DVD Drive
16x +/- DVD WRITER (8x +/- Dual Lyr) (5x DVD-RAM) (40x CD-RW) (£18)
Graphics Card
128MB RADEON X300-SE (HM) PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT
Sound Card
INTEGRATED 8 CHANNEL (7.1 SURROUND) HIGH DEF. AUDIO
Modem
NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (ETHERNET)
Floppy Disk Drive
1.44MB - 3.5" FLOPPY DISK DRIVE
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 23 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD FORMAT)
Case
Stylish Silver/Black Sigma case + 2 front USB
Power Supply & cooling
500W (Peak) Super Quiet Dual Rail PSU + 120mm fan & CPU Cooler (£39)
Firewire & Video Editing
3 PORT FIREWIRE (IEEE1394) PCI CARD (£9)
Speakers
CREATIVE INSPIRE 5.1 P5800 SPEAKER SYSTEM (£39)

hastelloy 20:23 19 Apr 2007

See my thread on their service click here
I haven't had a lot of time since receiving it so am still working on my first DVD but it's much more stable than my old machine and reasonable fast. I also have a 2 x 300 GB external HDD - 1 partitioned for back-up of my C and D drives and the other for video storage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?