Super-Zoom Camera reviews

anchor 13:32 21 Jan 2009

I have just read a group review of the latest "SLR like" super-zoom cameras. It may be of interest to those considering buying one.

click here

john bunyan 16:55 23 Jan 2009

anchor. Have you or anyone a favorite from this list? Thinking of retiring my Nikon F90 Film SLR but am not keen to get the digital equivalent with all the extra lenses etc. A Super zoom with Raw option would fit the bill. Have a liking for Nikon, Canon or Panasonic (Lumix) with SD card storage, but would consider others.

anchor 18:40 23 Jan 2009

john bunyan:

I have the Lumix, and can thoroughly recommend it. Of course that is my personal view, as I have no experience of the others.

john bunyan 21:05 23 Jan 2009

anchor. Is that the DMC FZ28? I like the fact it can save in RAW and .jpg - my wife has a slim F35 and the Lumix range seems to get a good press. Will put it top of list for the moment.

anchor 09:28 24 Jan 2009

Yes; its the Lumix DMC-FZ28 and I am very happy with it.

Of course, none of the super-zoom cameras are pocket size, (like your wifes), but one must make the sacrifice to get the facilities.

^wave^ 09:16 03 Feb 2009

i would think they have the ratings right i love this site and another good one is stevesdigicams both give excellent reviews.

Stuartli 19:56 03 Feb 2009

Actually, to my mind, the majority of the modern digital cameras in whatever form are far too small and light.

I have a solidly built Nikon F401 body with a 28-200mm AF Tamron zoom (just a fraction larger than a standard lens when closed down) and it's easy both to use and to keep steady.

Same for an Ashai Pentax Spotmatic with standard 1.8 lens.

In contrast my digital camera (Minolta 2MP E203) feels almost toy like in comparison, although it is capable despite its age, of taking excellent photographs; that's down to a first class zoom lens making the most of (by today's standards) a modest pixels level.

It also has a viewfinder, something that is becoming more and more rare in compact cameras, although Canon's Powershot range has bucked the trend over the years.

I cannot think of anything more ridiculous than holding a digital camera out in front of you and peering at a tiny screen, especially in bright sunshine.

At least with an SLR you can spot, for instance, that special facial expression and grab a shot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?