Storing photos while travelling

Severn Bore 13:56 17 Jun 2008

Hi

I am seeking advice on how I can store photos during a 3 week visit to Western Canada. I don't want to buy loads of CF ards and the Epson/Canon storage/viewers ( although I would love either) are a bit too pricey.

Is there any means of downloading photos directly onto a normal portable hard drive, or is a computer essential.

Alternatively, does anyone know whether in that part of Canada it would be easy to do this at a cybercafe?

Any advice would be very welcome.

jack 17:07 17 Jun 2008

Go to a DigiPhoto Processor and get them burned on to CD.
Most Drugstores and similar like ours, will have DIY booths

^wave^ 19:05 17 Jun 2008

if you have an ipod then load on there you need the camera adapter
or buy one very large card

peter99co 20:27 17 Jun 2008

I have bought a media drive which has a card reader built in from Maplin. You put your own hard drive in and it will connect to a PC or a TV. You can put loads of photo's and music on according to the size of the hard drive you fit.
It even has a remote. Comes with all the cables.

hssutton 22:50 17 Jun 2008

I use use the Jobo Giga 1 40gb click here

Mind you I was lucky and bought one for £40, small enough to fit in your pocket. The battery power was more than sufficient for my holiday 15 days and I stored 24 Gb of photos

Marko797 13:33 18 Jun 2008

i recently bought 1gb picture card for my Olympus for £8.49 delivered from 7dayshop. Holds in excess of 1000 fotos.

How many fotos are u thinking of taking?

Why buy an additional piece of kit?

Makes no sense to me.

Severn Bore 13:57 18 Jun 2008

Thansk to all who have responded. At the rate I take photos I expect to take about 40gigs worth of RAW file on my Canon 40D. Having read your views and having given it some thought, I think I shall just increase my stock of CF cards so that there is no risk of losing data during transfer to another device, although I quite liked the Jobo device. They are also light and portable. Shall probably keep to relative small capacity cards (no more than 8Gb) in case of failed/lost cards.7day shop are currently offering 8Gb Dane-Elec CF cards for just under £18.

hssutton 23:09 18 Jun 2008

In over five years of using portable storage I've never lost an image, must admit to saving to both laptop and portable storage. Personally I wouldn't use cards in excess of 4Gb.

Dane compactflash are reliable, well at least the smaller sized cards. I've Dane cards which are several years old, never had a problem using them on my 30D & 5D.

Marko797 A lot depends on what type of camera you use, a typical image file from my Canon 5D equates to 11 or put another way, approx 60 images per Gb, not in excess of a 1000

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?