Spot the difference 37 inch LCD

GRIDD 14:08 25 Jul 2008

These two models are £13 apart but what is the features difference?

click here

click here

Both links to Amazon for the Toshiba 37 inch LCDs.

GRIDD 14:10 25 Jul 2008

Toshiba 37XV505DB

and Toshiba 37XV503DB

Stuartli 10:16 26 Jul 2008

This link will help to solve your query:

click here

GRIDD 13:00 26 Jul 2008

I realised this was for price matching refusals by creating minor cosmetic changes upon researching more this morning.

I have been looking at LG panels, namely the LG5000 and LG6000 range. These panels in DSG stores are know as LG5010 and LG6010.... Hmmmm.

Anyway I'm at a loss now as to what to go for. Is popping another £100 worth it for 1080p, and is 42 inch too big for our living room - we have about 8 or 9 feet between sofa and TV.

Stuartli 15:04 26 Jul 2008

Why not compromise and get a 37in (preferably a Panasonic!).

Re full blown HD - most people would be pushed to tell the difference from SD on smaller screen sets, as it's on 42in upwards where the real benefits will be seen.

Jim Thing 14:38 27 Jul 2008

"...most people would be pushed to tell the difference from SD on smaller screen sets..."

I've seen this mentioned also in other threads but I'd have to say that it hasn't been my experience. The upscaled SD image quality on my 32" LG TV is excellent, but the HD quality is noticeably better still.

Stuartli 16:17 27 Jul 2008

Depends on how close you sit to your set...:-)

Jim Thing 21:05 27 Jul 2008

Indeed. But at a reasonable viewing distance (4 to 5x screen width?) I really do find a substantial difference in image quality between HD and upscaled SD. At shorter distances I wouldn't want to watch upscaled SD at all.

oresome 21:28 27 Jul 2008

I think you may be at cross purposes. The difference between SD and HD is evident to anyone.

It's the latest improvement to 1080 HD which is only evident on the largest screens to a critical eye, from what I read.

Jim Thing 23:21 27 Jul 2008

Thanks for that.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the latest improvement to 1080 HD..." According to its spec, my TV Rx can handle a 1080p signal; it is currently taking the 1080i output from a Humax Foxsat high-def STB via an HDMI cable (does this qualify as the latest improvement?) and I certainly see a difference in image quality between SD and HD on my 32" TV.

Please note: the quality of the SD image from my Humax box is a bit softer than that from the TV's built-in Freeview tuner, and therefore the image-quality comparison I'm making is:

HD via the Humax box
vs
SD via the TV.

At viewing distances of 4x or 5x screen width (which is as far back as I can get without demolishing a wall) the SD image quality is very good but the HD image is noticeably better. The difference becomes more pronounced as the viewing distance decreases: the SD quality deteriorates while the HD image remains stunning.

oresome 09:08 28 Jul 2008

Jim Thing,

I was refering to the lower resolution screens described as HD ready........720 pixels or thereabouts from memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017