Sony KDL40W4000

haricot 15:26 11 Aug 2008

I'm coming back on this subject having moved on a bit from the previous very good advice given.

Does anyone know of anything better, than this LCD Sony 40W4000 which looks pretty good to me , but then I don't know too much about these things hence asking for the advice.

It sells, I gather, from between about £875 to £1000 depending on where you look.

Is it the "best bang for the buck" ( as they say in the movies

Cheers)

anskyber 19:38 11 Aug 2008

Depends on your point of view and how your eyes see things like colour. I like the colour balance of Sony and I find some other highly rated sets a bit muddy looking to my eyes.

The problem is in many shops the signal to a number of sets can be variable and the sets may not have been set up for each screen optimally. Looking in shops can therefore be a hazardous affair.

But read click here

haricot 18:13 12 Aug 2008

Thanks anskeyber , I agree . That site looks interesting, thanks again.

anskyber 14:39 13 Aug 2008

Just a thought if you want 100htz click here

anskyber 14:43 13 Aug 2008

Finally, this site is very reliable for in depth reviews not available on other sites, here's the 40W4000 review click here

haricot 12:48 14 Aug 2008

Hi again anskeyber thanks for coming back.

Those two " click-here's" you gave me do not work I'm afraid. When I did click on them , both came
"Forbidden" and went on to say "I have'nt got Access to that particular Sony site"....so I don't know if you were aware of that particular problem with those sites and if you have a way of getting around them.

Back to you then !

haricot 12:58 14 Aug 2008

anskeyber

Perhaps I should be more specific about that . Here is a copy of what it says.

" 403 FORBIDDEN " You don't have permission to access /Sony-KDL40W4000/ on this server.

Additionally, a 403 forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an Error Document to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.41 Server at click here Port 80 "

End of message.

Being very un-technical I have'nt got a clue as to what that means or how it came about and can only assume its is something wrong with whatever it derived from at your end.

If you can throw any light on it, do tell.

anskyber 14:45 14 Aug 2008

Odd. The review was from the web site HDTVtest and this link hopefully will take you to the homepage click here the review link is at the bottom right of the page.

The other link was to a news item saying that the W4000 will have a W4500 using 100htz motion control for fast eg sports shots. If you can get my new link to work the news is middle left on the homepage.

This link should take you to the actual Sony press release about the W4500. click here

anskyber 14:49 14 Aug 2008

PS try Googling HDTVtest uk and see if you can get in that way, it is a reputable site.

haricot 16:51 14 Aug 2008

Hi anskeyber . Yep I got both of those,
thanks very much. I'll study them with care.

I much appreciate your time and trouble.

Its always a hell of a problem isn't it, trying to decide what would be the best T/V to get.

I think I could get away with a 40 Inch Set in our Lounge but which one to get out of a Sony or Pansonic and or LCD or Plasma is going to give me flaming nightmares,

You however have been extremely helpful and as I said I am really most grateful.

haricot 17:27 14 Aug 2008

And another thing...

and I know you are going to have a very simple answer but this really tells you how dozy I am when it comes to understanding things technical.

sony sets...both 40 inch both KDL but one is:-

40 W 4000 and the other is 40 E 4000.

different prices.

Wot do I get with one
as opposed to the other ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?