Solar Laptop Chargers??

rattyjunk 22:15 03 Aug 2006

I'll soon be buying the following laptop (See Link)

click here

I want to use this on the move and was wondering if anyone knows of a good solar charger to charge and also to sustain constant use.

Your help would be most welcome

De Marcus™ 22:30 03 Aug 2006

On the move in a car, public transport or leg power?

rattyjunk 22:39 03 Aug 2006

Well I'm moving to an Island where electricity is very expensive so hence the need for alternative power and by on the move I mean by foot

De Marcus™ 22:53 03 Aug 2006

I'd doubt very much that a solar panel can provide you with the sort of power you'll need for that kind of laptop, at least one that's portable anyway. What about a suitcase generator?

De Marcus™ 22:55 03 Aug 2006

Even something like this click here I think would struggle, and also require an inverter (added expense).

rattyjunk 23:04 03 Aug 2006

Thanks for the help :)

I may have to email Alienware and get some power requirements and go from there

De Marcus™ 23:08 03 Aug 2006

Let us know how you get on, I had a vaguely similar thread recently click here

dms05 07:44 04 Aug 2006

I have a motorhome with a solar panel capable of delivering 80 watts at 12 volts. The panel measures 95cm x 40cm and weighs 10kg. You'd then need a converter from 12v to your laptop voltage. My solar panel cost considerably more than my laptop. As your laptop uses the same power as a light bulb running, even from very high priced mains electric, must make more sense.

Jimmy14 13:25 04 Aug 2006

Taking a desktop replacement laptop with low battery life and a big power cable on the move is a big challenge which I wouldn't encourage. If it's for on the move then buy a portable laptop.

Forum Editor 17:03 05 Aug 2006

It will some solar panel that runs that machine. The size of panel required to run a laptop is pretty big, and in the solar panel industry size means cost.

Belatucadrus 01:55 12 Aug 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?