Sky and Virgin

GRIDD 10:53 21 Aug 2008

Do Virgin compress their TV signals more than Sky?

I have just connected both a 42 inch LCD and the Virgin looks crap. Sky seems to be much better...

I have to say I'm definately impressed with the Toshiba 42XV505.

I've previously owned a:

Technosonic 32 LCD which went back - used on Virgin TV.
Wharfedale 37 1080p LCD which went back - used on Virgin TV.
Sony 32 Bravia went faulty.

I think the first two TVs were blamed wrongly by me on not being up to scratch.

dms_05 16:50 21 Aug 2008

The Astra 2 satellite cluster offers programming from many sources. The 20 or so HD channels on Astra 2 are not all Sky branded, some are pay channels via a Sky subscription and some are FTA. However I believe they all offer 1080i as their broadcasting standard and produce good results on HDTV sets. I can't comment on what standards Virgin offer but it sounds as if they aren't as good as satellite origin material.

Take a look at C4 HD as they broadcast all C4 output in HD even though some of the programmes are SD origin. C4 HD evening news is a good comparison as the studio is HD but often inserts are in SD and you can see the difference.

Also have a look at the early evening FIVE aussie soap which is originally in HD but broadcast by FIVE in SD but at a high bit rate and looks much better than the usual SD output from the BBC.

ITV often transmits its programmes in SD at lower bit rates and you can also see the difference with poor picture quality.

If you want to watch ITV's few and far between HD programmes you will need a 'freesat' badged box as ITV HD can't be viewed by the 0.5 million Sky HD boxes (so they are only seen by a tiny few thousand who own 'freesat' HD boxes).

jack 17:34 21 Aug 2008

Sky is satellite but Virgin[NTL] is cable
So not comparing like with like
Or am I poking in where I know very little?

GRIDD 23:03 21 Aug 2008

as the only two sources for paid for TV they have to be compared.

GRIDD 23:05 21 Aug 2008

thanks, that's interesting.

dms_05 10:04 22 Aug 2008

Take a look at some guys comparisons click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?