Sky FTA vs. the rest, pros and cons of each

tgarcia 09:34 12 Feb 2009

I tried to make the tittle As clear as possible with what I would like to find out, the questions are:

Which one is better?, why?,
Which one is more cost-effective?, why?
With which one will I get more channels?, better channels?
And finally in which of both will I be able to watch F1?

Every single answer will be much appreciated, and just one last thing, please try to explain it in “FTA-for-dumbs” language as I’m not that familiar yet with the whole bunch of the industry terms.

Thanks in advance.

Stuartli 16:57 12 Feb 2009

Sky FTA requires a dish and a one-off payment; Freesat also requires the dish but is free, including HD, apart from an SD or HD set top box or integrated Freesat/Freeview TV - Freeview needs just a cheap set top box or an integrated digital TV (i.e. one with a built-in Freeview tuner).

Sky FTA channels:

click here

Freesat:

click here

Freeview:

click here

anskyber 08:19 13 Feb 2009

Stuartli has covered the ground very well. You will be able to watch F1 on all of the platforms, the reason being that from this season it's on the BBC.

anchor 09:03 13 Feb 2009

Some information

click here

Terry Brown 13:56 14 Feb 2009

Personally, I prefer Virgin media, as it has Setana Sports, you can get extra sports channels (Pay extra if required) and from my point of veiw, a large library of programs and whole series and BBC iplayer, built into the system enabling you to watch programs you miss while out (or at work).
Terry

Stuartli 15:08 14 Feb 2009

Freeview has Setanta Sport available (for a monthly fee).

DieSse 23:32 14 Feb 2009

You can also get a true FTA receiver - non-Sky, non-Freesat.

These will pick up every free-to-air channel, irrespective of which bouquet they belong to.

They have their own built-in EPG and "Favourites" facilities, and come in standard, HD, and PVR varieties.

Some have USB connectors that you can plug in your own hard drive, or memory stick into - and play back on a PC, as they record in standard formats.

Sky boxes require a subscription to watch one channel and record another.

DieSse 23:35 14 Feb 2009

"...every free-to-air channel" - means of course only from satellites they are pointing at, unless you get a motorised dish!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?